Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wanted:  Your estimate on getting started quilting >

Wanted: Your estimate on getting started quilting

Wanted: Your estimate on getting started quilting

Old 10-13-2011, 10:16 AM

under $150 for rulers, rotary cutter, a couple blades, pins, quilters' safety pins, cutting mat, a chalk pencil, seam ripper, and a basic book. Assume you have iron, ironing board, and tasklighting
Old 10-13-2011, 01:26 PM

I'd like to think we could all do this the way our grandmothers handled it, with just the very basics. I made my very first quilt more than 35 years ago with no skills what-so-ever, using fabric my FIL gave me, a borrowed sewing machine from my mom and basic supplies from Woolworths! Now we have rotary cutters, cutting mats and so many more 'bells and whistles'.
My initial expenses were about $10!
By the way, I still have and use that first quilt - it was made with wide-wale corduroy and old flannel shirts!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieC
I love Alikat110's answer of the Joy of Quilting!

I also agree with under $100 for the basic supplies (rotary cutter, mat, ruler etc).

The big "unknown" in your question is - what do you want to make? If you start of smaller, say a table runner or wall hanging, then you cut down on the cost of fabric, batting etc. (not to mention, small might be easier to handle and you can complete it easier/faster).

I know I may open up something here but - if you do chose one of the small projects I mentioned above, you won't necessarily need to buy the best batting, LQS fabric etc.

I hope you let us know what you decide and come up with!
I've actually been quilting for quite a while so have more than the basics many have mentioned. And by the way, I agree that one can get started just fine with these basics. That's how I started and in fact, I didn't use a rotary cutter as I was more comfortable with scissors and I hand sewed and quilted my first wall hanging to get a feel for quilting as it was originally done long ago to see if I liked it . I suppose I should have said in my original post that I was just curious about what all of you felt were the basics for getting started. I've often wondered what newbies who come to the site feel when they see the posts about all the supplies and equipment posters are mentioning that they use or have just purchased. For someone brand new to quilting or perhaps just contemplating starting to quilt I thought it might be rather intimidating. I think all the posts to this thread would be encouraging for someone who wants try out quilting, perhaps isn't sure if he/she will like it and can't afford (or want) to go out and buy all kinds of specialized rulers and gadgets/notions just to try a quilt project.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:23 PM

Buy the best that you can afford at the time. Cheap tools will wear out faster and won't work as well.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:25 PM

I started with a clear ruler from Dollar tree and a Pair of scissors from there also. I had a machine and some thread. My mom had some fabric and I bought 1/4 yards from the sale table at Walmart. My first quilt is my avitar, not the greatest Picture but no one told me points were hard so I had no problems. I hand quilted it. So my total investment was $2.00 plus may be $20.00 in fabric cheap and easy, I used a sheet for the back.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:36 PM

I love my rotary cutters, clear ruler and cutting mat because they make all your cutting much more accurate. The $100 price tag for just seeing if you like it is a bit scary though. I would start out with a small project like a table runner, mini-quilt or quilted tote to see if you like it. Just use a pattern and scissors and don't expect perfection. You could do that for less than $25, especially if you have some "found" fabric. A seam ripper is the one essential!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
well, one can make a quilt with a pair of scissors and some home-made templates of cardboard or milk jugs :) but to get started with modern tools, i would say that the minimum in equipment would be a rotary cutter, a mat, and a ruler. the most versatile ruler, imho, is the 6x24.
I have never seen a 6" x 24" ruler. All I ever see is 6.5" x 24", or is this what you meant?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:06 PM

In 2000 when I started my first quilt I can give you what I spent. $99 for brother sewing machine with basic stitches, straight, zig zag, and buttonhole from Wal-Mart. Approximately $45 for cutting mat, ruler, rotary cutter combo; $15 for quilt book; and $100 for fabric from Joann's. And I did not have a coupon. I remember this because I stated that I paid more for my fabric than my sewing machine.

Now if I took someone shopping to get them started, I would tell the $300-$400, not including the machine. I would buy the biggest cutting mat, a good pair of scissors, flat head pins, stc all the stuff that I did not know about when I started.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:16 PM

Along with all the tools, needed, the must have, from my point of view is a cutting table. You can mess up a good dinningroom table using just shears to cut fabric. Kitchen tables tend not to be long enough, and forever in use by whoever when you want to work. A 6"x30' folding table is the smallest I would consider. You can put it down when not in use. The last one I brought at the beginning of the year was 50.00.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:22 AM
Power Poster

I like that ruler, however, my favorite is 3x24. To me it is easier to handle. Check your yard sales and thrift stores. Sometimes you luck out with used ones. Good luck

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
well, one can make a quilt with a pair of scissors and some home-made templates of cardboard or milk jugs :) but to get started with modern tools, i would say that the minimum in equipment would be a rotary cutter, a mat, and a ruler. the most versatile ruler, imho, is the 6x24.