Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wanted:  Your estimate on getting started quilting >

Wanted: Your estimate on getting started quilting

Wanted: Your estimate on getting started quilting

Old 10-13-2011, 06:16 AM

My first quilt was a grandmothers fan. I had a pair of scissors, a school pencil, sandpaper for templates, and a 12 inch school ruler. I did a lot of drawing around the templates on a single layer of fabric so I didn't waste fabric, then cut out by hand. I only had normal straight pins. To get long strips, I tore the fabric.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:16 AM

As long as I have fabric, needle, thread and scissors, I'm good to go. The rest are luxuries. Beloved luxuries, absolutely, but I still recognize them as luxuries.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:18 AM

I agree with everyone else's suggestions but will add some advice. Within reason, get the best you can afford, be it a rotary cutter, mat, etc. The Fiskar's starting kit (mat, cutter, ruler) looks like a good deal but my students didn't like the mat, the ruler was hard to read and kept slipping, and I didn't like the cutter).

My suggestion is to get:
- an Olfa mat at least 18" x 24"
- 6.25" x 24" ruler (Creative Grid is my favorite brand, but only found in LQSs)
- 5" or 6" Fiskar scissors
- 2" or 3" small Fiskar scissors - 1/4" foot that has an attached guide bar
- self-closing rotary cutter (for safety reasons)

Everything else you might need such as seam rippers, etc., you can get in the notions section of Joann Fabric.

Welcome to the quilting world! And, remember, a lot of what you see on the QB, are things that we "old timers" have collected over many years. Also, some of us love to collect quilting stuff, a lot of which is rarely to never used; we just like it! :-)
Old 10-13-2011, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

At least $100 to buy good basic tools: ruler, mat, rotary cutter, thread, scissors.

Another $25 for needles, thimble, seam ripper, marking pencils, pins and pin cushion.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:48 AM

I started out with a book of quilt designs & information (borrowed from my daughter) and made my templates from sheets of gridded vinyl. Also, I used very cheap fabric ... all with the idea that I wouldn't be wasting a lot of $$$ if I didn't like making quilts.

I did like it very much and so started to accumulate notions & fabric, a bit at a time, so as to fit into my budget. Some of the notions & rulers I have not yet used and the months have turned into years.

You should have at least one good acrylic ruler and a beginner book (perhaps for a sampler quilt?). You can buy - frequently at half-price - a combo. pack with cutting board, rotary cutter and 24" x 6" ruler. I think you should have the book first; they always give a list of things you need.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:30 AM

I recommend an 8 1/2" by 24" ruler, also a 3 1/2" x 18" ruler for cutting your pieces. I like the royal blue Dritz cutting mat. Later you could purchase a set of square-up rulers. I don't recommend spending a bunch of money on rotary cutters. I like Olfa but most of the others are just fine. A 28mm will get you started. If you want to make stack and whacks or cut many layers, you'll need to get a 60mm. If your machine sews a good, straight stitch, you're in business. I started on a 40 year old White sewing machine that I bought at a yard sale and used it for 3 years. Wait until you are absolutely hooked before you spend a bunch of money on a machine. Hope this helps.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:14 AM

I love Alikat110's answer of the Joy of Quilting!

I also agree with under $100 for the basic supplies (rotary cutter, mat, ruler etc).

The big "unknown" in your question is - what do you want to make? If you start of smaller, say a table runner or wall hanging, then you cut down on the cost of fabric, batting etc. (not to mention, small might be easier to handle and you can complete it easier/faster).

I know I may open up something here but - if you do chose one of the small projects I mentioned above, you won't necessarily need to buy the best batting, LQS fabric etc.

I hope you let us know what you decide and come up with!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
well, one can make a quilt with a pair of scissors and some home-made templates of cardboard or milk jugs :) but to get started with modern tools, i would say that the minimum in equipment would be a rotary cutter, a mat, and a ruler. the most versatile ruler, imho, is the 6x24.
I agree.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:41 AM

we all start small-then it explodes as we see fabric we can't live without. Toys,er,tools-that make cutting, measuring easier-machines that are cute or have to have because.......fill in the blank.

Quilting is an addiction that we all enjoy-some times more than others, depending on how our current project is going!

I would say that the estimate of $100-$150 is about right. And I know the kits are expensive but you are paying for the cutting and sizing. I would start with something small-but if you are like the rest of us-the projects grow!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:52 AM

Everyone has covered tools, etc.

To begin with, buy low low low dollar fabric. Make a pet bed, using an easy pattern, if you don't have a pet, give it to a friend, a pet store, humane soc, or donate it. Make another one. Keep doing that until it looks decent. Then buy a bit better fabric do a small quilt, a throw, or a table runner.

My walmart has the fabric back, I'm not happy with the quilting fabric quality compared to price. Same price Hobby lobby/joann/hancock, but much lower quality. However Walmart does have a $1.50 a yard section. Something like that to start with, or buy used garments and cut them up.

Easy pattern: 4p - 9p - D4p - D9p - rail fence - turning twenty (there is a lot of easy patterns)