Old 10-13-2011, 03:46 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grammagayle
I just think it's a difference in different kinds of people. There are those of us who keep several ideas in their mind; and can't shut that down; and more than anything enjoy picking out the material and getting that idea 'onto paper' (or into a quilt top) and the GREAT THRILL is gone,even tho they still like the rest. And there are those who enjoy that finality and solitude; and finality of seeing something come to fruition. And then there are those who just enjoy seeing it go from the brain wave idea to the finality of putting the last stitch on the last corner of a HAND STITCHED quilt. I don't think it is a question of having or getting enthusiasm back for some part of the process. I think it's more having done each step; and possibly finding one stage that we totally enjoy. We are all wired differently; and get enjoyment in different ways.
But don't you think that if a person is making quilt after quilt where they ALWAYS get fed up at some stage of it so that they only want to get it done, should perhaps review their choices of pattern/technique or whatever? Quilting offers such a huge range of choices - I just think it's sad if ppl begin to see it as a chore - any stage of it. Of course, there are parts that you'll enjoy more than others - I have a current WIP which requires a ton of satin stitch applique and it's definitely a chore BUT I'm dying to get it done so I can get to the FMQ and fabric painting I have planned for it. So that's a means to an end. I do a bit of the satin stitch until I can't bear anymore, then I put it aside for a while and do something else. But I would still maintain that I am enjoying the overall process of that particular design and I'm not tempted to rush it or do inferior work.

As I said earlier, I don't enjoy piecing the same block over and over, though there are lots of quilt patterns requiring this that I would love to make so I could FMQ them and then own the quilt. But I don't because I know I'd detest the piecing. I choose patterns, techniques and designs that I know I'll enjoy making or at least that I know I can push myself through like the above-mentioned satin stitch. :mrgreen: :lol: