Old 10-14-2011, 08:50 AM
donnajean

Sounds just like my GP doctor. I think he is so busy reading my file that he does not listen to the reason why I am there. Last year, an office person called me to say he was perscribing a blood pressure medication. My blood pressure always goes high when in dr's. office as I can't get my point across & get agitated when having to wait more than an hour. My blood pressure is extremely low when I wake up in the morning, so I'm afraid to take any medication. I tave problems with any medication they try to give me. I think I have a food allergy as well, but can't pin it down. What else would cause numb/tingling lips for almost 2 weeks now?

Originally Posted by Tropical
Hi everybody. I really needed to come on the board and read some of the writings here. I get joy that way. I also want to ask for some advice about how to get a doctor to listen to you.

I just got home from a doctor appointment. As usual, I had to listen to his agenda before we could address mine. I think mine is why I went in the first place. I'm not complaining - really, I'm not. I guess that is just the way doctors are now. I want to ask if anyone has any clues about how to get their point across without the doctor jumping right in with a litany of reasons why medications are the only way to go.

I had my list of topics I wanted to cover and he saw it. I always take one. I stated what I wanted to talk about when he asked why I was there. Things went downhill from there. I can't take meds without severe reactions (he has a list of those on his computerized file for me and had it in front of him and showed it to me). He disagreed with anything I told him or skipped right over it. I left with two prescriptions and a sheet for the lab of some blood work. I guesss it might be useful. But, not what I talked about needing.

I guess since he did provide orders for my bone density test and my mammogram (I did ask for those), I should be happy. I'll keep researching on my own for answers for my food allergies, etc. on my own.

So please, if you have any advice about how to get a doctor to pay attention to the patient's wants without jumping into a lecture on why medication is the only way to go, I would love to hear it. Thanks for listening and I hope this didn't come off as complaining. I reread this and deleted what sounded like that to me. :)