Old 10-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Mad Mimm

I don't think you are complaining; I think you have a legitimate right to feel heard by your doctor. Doctors are incredibly personal choices and you have to have a good rapport with the doctor to begin with. If you can't have an open dialog with room for your questions and opinions, you have the wrong doc. You need to keep searching for someone who will give you the "bedside manner" you need.

When searching for my last OB, I went around and asked the nurses who they recommended after advising them what I was looking for. I stated the traits important to me and what I considered "deal breakers" and the nurses came back with knowledgeable recommendations.

At my first meeting, I told my doc I would be his "problem child" and that at least once during our time together, I would disagree with him and/or make a choice he disagreed with. I told him up front if he couldn't handle that, he could leave the room right then. From that point on, we got along famously and sure enough, when I disagreed with him, he gave me all the medical information I needed to make an informed choice and let me make my own decision.

Doctors have different medical philosophies, you need to research until you find a doc that has a similar philosophy as your own. It means you may need to make some calls and ask questions, but it can be done. If I can find a doctor I like, ANYONE can! (are you getting that I was a tough customer? :D )

Good luck and don't be afraid to take charge of your medical care. You are the one who has to take the medicine after all!!!