Old 10-15-2011, 03:40 AM
olebat

Hubby & I are in medical fields, and agree - find a different primary care provider, then get a referral to GI medicine. Sounds as though you may be having esophageal spasms. The correct medicine can certainly help, but too many, and incorrect meds can harm the overall you. Patient directed care is questioned by many care providers because they feel their patients are diagnosing their problems via internet web sites and coffee break doctors. Although good to be informed, this sometimes plants additional ideas in the heads of some people, and makes accurate diagnosis difficult for the care provider.

What I find useful is a typed sheet with a list of allergies, current medications, medical and surgical history, and a problem list. When I see the care provider, I pull out my sheet, and jump in with my biggest problem. Because the systems are all linked, sometime, a minor problem will provide clues to the big picture. The care provider will often ask if they can make a copy of my list.

Another tactic is to offer a question, rather than to tell what you want. (Do we need to consider a barium swallow?) (In your case, this would be one of my diagnostic tools.)

When seeking a new care provider, look them up in the internet. Read their credentials and backgrounds, see which hospitals they use for their patients. This information may help you select a good match. It also won't hurt to tell the provider why you selected them. Choose wisely Grasshopper, and good luck.