View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 10:34 AM
sparkys_mom

Okay, I admit it! I am thoroughly intimidated by my Horizon!! I've had it for three months and barely touched it. I keep coming up with reasons why I can't use it "right now". Prior to this purchase, I was using a very simple and straightforward Brother. I find myself wishing the 7700 didn't have all those feet and stitches and would just stick to what I wanted it for - the huge throat, piecing, and quilting. I do not now or EVER want to make buttonholes.

Today, I finally made up my mind I have to overcome this. I have done a few sandwiches to practice FMQ and that's improved a little bit but today, I decided to move forward with a small quilt that is ready to go. So I did a little practice run and then I put in thread and bobbin suitable for the quilt and started another practice run - the back is eyelashing like crazy. I rethreaded the machine (BTW the thread seems to fray and break a lot) and reloaded the bobbin. Same thing. I have done it three times now and am ready to cry in frustration.

I have used Leah Day's suggestion on machine settings - which is to use the Supreme Slider, leave the feed dogs alone, D1 setting, Stitch Length 0, QVH Foot, and Needle Down. And that's another thing - for awhile the needle always stopped in the down position - now sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

It's probably pilot error here but I'm ready to start making boat anchors rather than quilts.