View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 02:25 PM
sparkys_mom

Originally Posted by sewgray
I don't know about the Horizon, except I wish I had one, but are you pulling the bobbin thread to the top and holding both thread ends to start? Maybe you don't have to do this on the Horizon, but on my Bernina it's a must.
Right about now I'd sell you one cheap. :hunf:

To answer some of the suggestions: I'm using Superior's King Tut thread and the recommended needle. The bobbins are identical on both sides so don't see how I could have one upside down. The machine won't sew if the presser foot isn't down. I did try to switch to the DS1 setting for FMQ which is what they have in the instruction book and then it REALLY growled at me!

I decided to leave it for the day and try some piecing. That, at least, has gone well enough. No problems with tension or shredding thread. And it always stops with the needle down! I do have to get used to the 1/4" foot as it has a little fabric guide on the side that I don't like. Someone gave me a 1/4" foot for the Brother like that and I don't like it, either, but I have another 1/4" foot without the guide and do much better with it. Since the one I have is the only option for the Horizon, I'll just have to figure out where to set the needle to get an accurate seam.

The dealer said he gives free classes but there are no scheduled classes. You just have to request it. I've taught many a computer class and I know there is a big difference between people who are experienced and know what to ask and those who don't so I'm hoping this won't turn out to be one of those where they just ask what do you want to know. :?