View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 02:46 PM
gramajo

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
When my husband passed, I did not have a funeral. Instead I had a 'Celebration of Life' Party, and forbid everyone from wearing black, said jeans and a flannel shirt (his favorate). We had a pot-luck day, family and friends.....He was cremated and sits on my mantel, one day will be buried in the local Military cemetary, but not until I am gone.
My ex-husband, who was a very good friend after the divorce, wanted a party at the neighborhood bar. The owners & friends set up a buffet. Most of the patrons were friends and like family. Many stories were told & there was a lot of "do you remember ?". Toward the end, several people spoke about what he had meant to them. Funny, sad, bittersweet, yes, but it also spoke volumes about him. :D

His body was donated to science. He wanted his ashes scattered along the hedgerow where his precious dog, Monster, & many other family pets were buried. Family and a few friends were there. One friend had a six-pack & took a beer over there so he could have 'one last one' with his friend.

This all may sound disrespectful, but this is what he wanted. If you'd known him, it was very appropriate. It truly was a "Celebration of his Life", complete with jeans & flannel shirts. :thumbup: He left the way he wanted to go.