Old 10-16-2011, 06:59 PM
qbquilts

Originally Posted by almostfree
I put my top and bottom borders on first by accident, and then put on the sides! This was on the outer border only. I thought I had the sides that I was pinning, but after I had it sewed, I noticed it was the top. I don't think my MIL will notice.....the quilt's for her b-day. Is there a special reason to put borders on in this order? I really don't want to rip! :oops:
I almost always put the sides on first because I like the having the visual aspect of the top and bottom borders across the whole quilt, and not just running into the side borders.

However, in most cases it does not really matter. A few designs will call for the borders put on in a specific manner, but most of the time it's the quilter's choice. Just know that if you plan on doing this in the future, you may need to adjust the border lengths from the ones given in the directions. (IE, shortening the length of the top/bottom borders to the width of the center of the quilt and lengthening the side borders to the length of the whole quilt.)