View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 09:55 PM
seasaw2mch

I love the look of tile and wood but the simple fact is tile floors are dangerous to small kids and elderly people. The reasons I say this is because they are very slippery when wet and we all know that small kids and elderly folks seem to always drop things and elderly people often trip as well and this could cause greater broken parts.

About 5 years ago I redid my kitchen from scratch (myself) and I had to do the research on all the different flooring out there so I could make a choice as well. Wood and wood laminate flooring are also really nice but the truth is if they get wet you are going to have to replace parts of it. Concrete I think is about the same as the tiles, to hard a surface if one has elderly people around that can fall on it. So after all the ideas that I found, the best thing is still a vinyl laminate and that is what I went with. They have some now that looks like the tile or the wood so you can still get the look without having to worry about the safety hazards that come with the other flooring's. Yes Vinyl is slippery when wet but it's a softer landing and the liquid can't soak through it so it's not going to have to be replaced as often.