Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: kitchen flooring...wood or ceramic tiles

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am so undecided...I love the feel of the tiles, but the look of the wood...I found a place that has ceramic tiles that look like wooden planks..buy OY.....I could add on a dining room for that price...

what do you all have/like/want/prefer???

anyone do stained concrete???

Blog Entries
    i prefer hardwood, but had to settle for laminate :(

Personal opinion...wood has a much warmer look and feel. And, is much more forgiving if you should drop something on it, such as a plate. Things shatter quicker on tile. And, remember tile has grout, and that is difficult to keep clean in a kitchen. Cleaning/maintaining a wood floor is much easier to me.

I have marble, tile floors in the kitchen and think tile is great. We had wood in our last house and we had to rip them all out when our tenant dropped a pan from the oven and left burn marks all over them:< And they got water damaged too. So, each product has its pluses and minuses. You'll have to figure out what is most important. You can also get radiant heat under the tiles. Very expensive, but sooo comfy.

Blog Entries
    Had both & love the wood!

I had wood floors at my house and didn't noticed a small drop underneath the fridge. Is slowly rot the wood under the fridge and even further. Tiles get my vote.

Blog Entries
    we have all tile, had laminate but our wonderful cat knocked down a coffee pot! all that moisture ruined the floor. So now we stick with tile

I have ceramic in kitchen and bath, the rest of the first floor is hardwood. Attic room carpet. I like the tile in the kitchen and bath. The hardwood is nice also but it needs to be refinished and I'm dreading that. The grout is not much a problem, I did not put white grout in it is off white in the bath and sand in the kitchen. Once dried I coated it with polyerthene. Very happy with our choices.
    Any suggestions on having the hardwood refinished?

Blog Entries
    I have laminate...and would NEVER recommend it in a kitchen...or at all, really.

If I had a choice, I'd go for tiles...

I have ceramic tiles and I hate them. They are cracked where we drop things on them and dirty looking grout. Never again!!!!!

Senior Member hensandhollyhocks's Avatar
    We have tile in the kitchen and I really dislike it. Can't seem to keep it clean enough no matter what I try. It is durable though. We have the laminate squares that look like tile in the "man room" and it seems indestructable, and is very easy to clean. However, my brother has a basement play room with stained concrete, and it is the most amazing floor ever! Just views from my lifestyle.

I have had hardwoods for 20 years and absolutely LOVE them!

We have 16 inch ceramic tiles in the kitchen and foray (front door to livingroom) Laminate flooring in the livingroom and hall and all 3 bedrooms are carpet. I had all carpet before the flood. I wouldn't change the way I have it now. I love it. Both bathrooms are ceramic tile.

I have tile upgraded from vinyl.

We had hardwood in the kitchen at our last house and I loved it. Yes it got scratches and dents but still looked beautiful when we sold after 13 years and 4 children. Everyone commented on it and thought it looked wonderful, very warm and homey.
    Completely remodeled the kitchen in this house and went with tile. Absolutely love it! We were able to put the heat coils under it so it's nice and warm in the winter. Yes it has no give if you drop something but also no scratches or dents in the floor. No worries about water damage from the dihwasher or spills.
    The rest of the house is all hardwood (except the bathrooms). No carpet which is great since I have really bad allergies.
    So, I am no help what so ever!

Blog Entries
    Vinyl flooring that looks like wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    I have laminate...and would NEVER recommend it in a kitchen...or at all, really.

If I had a choice, I'd go for tiles...
    Why? I have laminate floors (they were here when we bought the place) and we love them. So easy to clean and after 4 years we can't see any wear even with 3 dogs tearing around on them.

Banned
    Don't go ceramic, go porcelin, you'll never have a cracked tile again. DH and I tried to cut a hole for the dishwasher hose through it and it was almost impossible. We worked for a while to get a crack going so we could chisel a hole. I would have never guessed...Porcelin is a little more expensive but comes on sale.

Tile is very hard on your feet and back. I would not use it anywhere I need to stand for any period of time.

I love the hardwood in my kitchen. It looks warm and homey. Any dents (from dropping cans and things) just give it character. And in my opinion, mopping the wood is a lot easier than trying to keep grout lines clean.

Blog Entries
    I have the ceramic that looks like wood and love it. Always shines and so easy to take care of.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by morelcabin
    Don't go ceramic, go porcelin, you'll never have a cracked tile again. DH and I tried to cut a hole for the dishwasher hose through it and it was almost impossible. We worked for a while to get a crack going so we could chisel a hole. I would have never guessed...Porcelin is a little more expensive but comes on sale.
    I have not seen these...but we are very limited on what is available in this rural town...will make a note to search though...

my next thought is marble..I had that in Italy and LOVED it...or Terrazo...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    might also ad my kitchen is very small, barely 10' sq and it is stark white...with blue tinted walls and a yellow counter top..(that also might be changed) and a yellow sink! my colors are blue/white/yellow..go figure..hehehe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I love your kitchen, just the right size.

I had tile and hated it. I would get leg cramps from the cold tile going through my house shoes and standing on it to cook. Also was slick in the humidity...
    Can't tell you how many times I fell on my rear.

I like the wood laminate because I mop mine every day. My dogs drip and drop on the floors and I clean with disinfectant everyday. The laminate looks great and it gets a beating here.

Blog Entries
    Have you looked at Allure? It's a DIY plank flooring - probably a vinyl that comes in wood grains or tile patterns. It's so much more forgiving with bad feet and a bad back. Warmer, too. Lumber Liquidators has it at good prices if the shipping wouldn't eat up the savings. How far is your nearest Home Depot?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast