Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
kitchen flooring...wood or ceramic tiles >

kitchen flooring...wood or ceramic tiles

kitchen flooring...wood or ceramic tiles

Old 06-25-2012, 04:31 AM

I have marble in my kitchen and have for over 10 yrs now. It's great; so easy to clean. I found a bargain place and got it at a great price. It stands up to the kids, the dogs and everything else that comes across it. I like it so much that after a few yrs I went to HD and got some for my dinning room and front entry way. Now I don't worry about anyone tracking anything in on it because it'll clean up easy which is great when it's nasty out and you are trying to get all the groceries in. You can always put rugs down on top if you want a change as well.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:58 AM

We put in ceramic, and I would never do it again. I slipped and fell once and broke a part in my pelvis. Too easy to happen--kitchen=water. Terrible if you have young kids, too. I can no longer get down and scrub the grout. But, it used to drive me nuts trying to clean it. Also coming in the door with wet feet could be catastrophic. I have rugs duck taped down all over it now. It doesn't look too bad since the tape matches the rubber-backed utility rugs.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:48 AM

We have a lot of porcelin tile and now after 4 yrs I will have the grout cleaned and resealed in the kitchen/entry. It isn't awful, but needs it. We have different tile on our lanai and the grout is permanent - no re-sealing necessary ever. I love it. Sorry I don't know the name, but it is out there. My sister in law has the tile hard wood floor look in her bedrooms and it is beautiful! Think of sound and feel - tile rooms are noisier, but it works for us in FL.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:43 PM

Actually I'm thinking for kitchen flooring replacement in my house & with my family discussion I'm choosing bamboo flooring.So I want some advice regards which bamboo flooring is better for kitchen. It will be helpful for me to make budget. Tell me the installation cost.
Thanks...

Last edited by vinity26; 08-05-2020 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:16 AM

As much as I love wood I am going to say that ceramic tile is much safer a choice. I found out the hard way when my dishwasher sprung a leak in back of the machine and ruined the hard wood half way out through the kitchen as the water got under the wood so now after months of waiting I am getting a new dishwasher tomorrow and the floor which is a total mess has to wait until I can afford the repair. Next time around because I like the wood look I am getting a top quality waterproof vinyl or ceramic tile floor. The damage was unbelievable.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:30 AM

We stained the concrete throughout the house when we built last year with the intention to "upgrade" down the line. I love it! I do live in south Texas,so winter is short, but I worried that the floor would be freezing in winter--nope. here's a pic
Old 08-07-2020, 03:33 AM

oops! here's a pic
Attached Thumbnails square-striped-quilt.jpg   boogie-board-bag2.jpg  
Old 08-07-2020, 04:10 AM

We just this past year replaced the carpet with gray wood grain laminate & a high-grade vinyl squares in the kitchen & bathrooms. The vinyl matches the laminate to give that wood look throughout. In-person the floors match better then what the picture shows. I love it. In choosing our floors I took in consideration my age & I have pets.
Attached Thumbnails img_3903.jpg  
Old 08-07-2020, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I have laminate...and would Never recommend it in a kitchen...or at all, really.If I had a choice, I'd go for tiles...
I agree. I have tile in the kitchen, breakfast room, living room and front hall. I wanted hardwoods, but due to some problems with my slab I couldn't do hardwoods and opted for laminate. Bad choice when you have dachshunds. While tile is bad if you drop anything on it, laminate doesn't hold up well to any moisture. Tile seems to put up with anything. When my laminate gets bad, I plan to replace it with tile. There are some great tile patterns that look like natural stone that I really like.

I had hardwood floors in the kitchen in my previous house. They looked really nice and seemed to hold up well, but we only lived in that house for 5 years so I can't say how they did long term.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-07-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:52 AM

I have inlaid linoilium it has held up good