Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
kitchen flooring...wood or ceramic tiles >

kitchen flooring...wood or ceramic tiles

kitchen flooring...wood or ceramic tiles

Old 10-16-2011, 05:05 AM

I went with ceramic. I love the wood, but am afraid of water and other spills on it.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:15 AM

Wood floors are the best. Easy to clean and don't look dirty even if they are. The don't chip if you drop something on them and they don't crack if the earth shifts. I have carpet in the bedrooms, tile in the bathrooms and wood everywhere else, including the living room, kitchen, dining room and sewing room. I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:36 AM

I installed Mannington wood flooring. It is the same product used in bowling alleys and it takes the abuse from kids, cats, dogs and water spills. Love it.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:42 AM
Vat

I have ceramic through out my whole house and love it. Same tile everywhere. Have never had wood. In my last house I had CORK tile and it is wonderful, but a little on the expensive side. Was going to put it in our new house when we built but money ran out and I could to the ceramic. The cork also comes in planks. But porcelan is good because if it chips the color goes all the way through and you don't see a chip like in ceramic. If you can find a place that sales the cork you should check it out. I have also stained concrete, with stain that doesn't look like paint. I'll look for the name of it and send it later but it is lovely. Did it on front porch and patio. It is out of California. They have lots of colors and you can do your own thing like "Quilt Blocks", or medalions, etc., etc.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:50 AM
Vat

Okay, I found the name of the concrete stain, Kemiko. Just key into your search engine, concrete stain , it should come. Lots of pictures and ideas. I highly recommend this product and the cork flooring if they are in your price range.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:06 AM

Personally, I would go for laminate. They have laminate that look like tiles, and the laminate does hold up better if you have large dogs, although my dogs prefer the carpet(less slippery) with their nails.

If you drop something breakable on tile, it's going to break, plus it's hard on the feet and legs, cold in the winter, etc.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I am so undecided...I love the feel of the tiles, but the look of the wood...I found a place that has ceramic tiles that look like wooden planks..buy OY.....I could add on a dining room for that price...

what do you all have/like/want/prefer???

anyone do stained concrete???
I recently replaced our tile floor in the kitchen with porcelean (sp).... Best thing I ever did! The grout in the tile floor was so wide and I just could not get it clean looking. The new porcelean tiles have a very tiny grout line and is so much easier to keep clean. Check it out... porcelean is also cheaper.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:21 AM

I am currently taking a break from installing laminate. Wanted hardwoods in the living room but the salesman said with 5 dogs, there would be scratches and dents from toenails in no time....so I got loose-lay laminate. About a year ago, I put down the self-stick laminte in the kitchen and LOVE IT!!!!!! NO more trying to bleach grout or keep the tile clean....and I was once mopping the tile barefoot, took a bad fall and shattered my wrist. 6 pins and a plate later....I have laminate!
Old 10-16-2011, 06:27 AM

I'm replacing my wood with tile. Wood is too fragile. It sctatches and doesn't stand up to water. There's a lot of water in my kitchen.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:49 AM

Had tile in my last kitchen. For me it was too hard on my legs and back. Now I have vinyl in the kitchen which is so easy even though I prefer a better look. I wouldn't do hardwood or laminate in a kitchen - water can ruin it. I have laminate elsewhere in the house and love it.