Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
kitchen flooring...wood or ceramic tiles >

kitchen flooring...wood or ceramic tiles

kitchen flooring...wood or ceramic tiles

Old 10-16-2011, 08:48 AM

We just did our Kitchen flooring last year and I love it .We did it in tile not sure what type of tile but BOY can it take a beating and NOT break.First accident a neighbor dropped a full beer can on it, no chips.Second accident I dropped a pot lid on it,no damage.THIRD accident,we won't say who but a hammer was dropped on it,WOOOHOOOOO NO DAMAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Here's a pic so you can see it .the second pic is the wood floor we put in our dinning room,love both because they clean up easy , not like a carpet.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-272300.jpe  
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2011, 08:54 AM

My parents put oak flooring in their kitchen about 10 years ago. I'm now getting estimates for new flooring for them. Kitchens are high usage rooms. A lot of time is spent there, and there's the potential for a lot of spills, drips and drops. They need a tough flooring with a tough finish. And wood just ain't it.

My sister had oak in her last kitchen. Within 3 years the finish showed wear in front of the sink. Then in front of the stove, as well as the pathway to the dining room. When she was 50 she built her 2-story dream house. The bottom floor is mostly ceramic tile over concrete. She requested that shoes be removed upon entering. Within months her hips began to ache and pain her. Then she started wearing slippers with well-padded soles around the house and her pain disappeared.

A ceramic tile floor is too hard on Mom's arthritis. Hips, knees and feet can suffer with the hard unyielding surface. And she can't maintain all the grout lines. She loves the look of wood, but but is now considering vinyl with a wood look for a little more softness underfoot, and it's easy to clean. Alternately, a glued-seam laminate would be great if she could find the color she likes, but it's a bit more expensive.

I put ceramic tile in my entry and on my hearth. My DH won't tell me what he dropped, but I now have a large piece broken off a corner tile...
Old 10-16-2011, 08:54 AM

either laminate or wood. Ceramic tile will chip if you drop something on it and it is horrible on your legs. I have ceramic and if I could afford it, I would tear it all out in a heartbeat.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:02 AM

No on the concrete--it kills me feet when I stand on it very long.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:02 AM

We have 12" tile squares that start at the foyer and run down the entry hall into the kitchen (and in the bathroom). They look nice, are very durable and easy to keep clean with a steamer (need to spot-clean extra dirty areas first). If you spill (and who doesn't in the kitchen) it is so much easier to clean up.

Marysewfun
Old 10-16-2011, 09:03 AM

i have had both in my kitchen,but love hardwood floor the best.easy to clean,warm in winter...and beautiful!!!tile was pretty but chipped if i dropped something in a heavy can,and the grout was a bugger to keep clean.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:36 AM

I had a landlord that my son worked for and when I was doing my floors they both said no wood in kitchen and bath. Hardwood would probably work but at one time I had laminate that looked like wood.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:36 AM

When we built our retirement home the front of the house faces the lake, and is one room, kitchen , dining, and living and I put wood floors down, and 15 years later we are still loving them, easy to keep up, tile is cold in the winter, we have tile in our two entry ways, but they need rugs in the winter.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:37 AM

I'm a very messy cook, (hubby said he should install a revolving floor to move stuff out to compost quickly, lol). Anyhow... I have wood floor in the kitchen. It seems to be standing up to the abuse. I use vinegar spritz for the drips and wipe it up with a damp cloth.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:38 AM

Did she have rugs down in front of the sink, stove? We have had oak floors for 15 years and no signs of wear, it did bleach out a bit in front of the patio door, but still looks great!