Old 10-20-2011, 06:44 AM
Skittl1321

I would recommend the 430. It is much less expensive than the 440, as it does not come with the BSR or the walking foot, or a few of the stitches (do you really need all of them?)

I got one recently, and the dealer was offering free embroidery or serger with an Aurora purchase, so I got embroidery. I also got a great trade in (on a mass market machine, that they donate to youth sewing programs, they can't resell what I had). I paid $2099 pretax, the 440 was over $1000 more, they offered me the 430 with BSR for $2800.

I did buy the walking foot, but am happy with my decision to not get the BSR. What I need is practice, not stitch regulation... already with the Bernina my FMQ is so much better than on my Kenmore 16221.

The harp is also not huge but it is bigger than what I had, so I am very happy with the extra space.

The 440 definetly has some more bells and whistles, but I have bells and whistles enough on the 430.

(I think both the 430 and 440 are retired based on what the internet says, but our dealer is still selling them and hasn't said a word of discontinued... I got my 430 only a few months ago.)