Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Considering Machine Purchase ***PLEASE  ADVISE *** >

Considering Machine Purchase ***PLEASE ADVISE ***

Considering Machine Purchase ***PLEASE ADVISE ***

Old 10-20-2011, 07:31 AM

Not sure where you are in Texas, but I purchased my Berninas from a dealer in Dallas. You can research their current machines on the Bernina website at berninausa.com to get an idea of the various options available by machine. Newest line is Bernina 500 series and comes in 3 different levels. Other dealers also have websites where you can research the various whistles and bells they offer.

mltquilt
Old 10-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

I bought a 440QE soon after I started quilting, and I love it. I do think the stitch regulator is worth its weight in gold.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:37 AM

You really can't go wrong with any Bernina, so good luck with picking a model:> And have fun.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Helovesme
Free classes on how to use it at the LQS he bought it at.
I've found the free classes to be really expensive when it comes to materials... but definetly useful to get to know the machine!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:45 AM

I have a Bernina 440QE. Love it. I also have an old Bernina 730 Record. Love it too. Like everyone has stated try them out and see which you like best and has most or all of the features you are looking for.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AliKat
If you have enough LQS's nearby then try them all. See which ones you and bond with and feel you would use the most.

Set your budget. Make a 'wish list' of features you need and those you want. [Personally lots of fancy stitches doesn't do it for me as I only use about 10 of them anyway. Oh well.]

Is there going to be a quilt show or expo near you? Can you go to Houston? Dealers will discount their machines in order not to have to pack them up and take them home afterwards.

Are you willing to buy a used machine. You might find one by asking at LQS's, watching CL, checking the sale adds, and going online. As newer models come out some quilters/sewers do trade their machines in for newer models. A few more often than most.

Good luck.

ali
all great suggestions. my experience is that there is no one perfect machine. i wish there was a way to order the features you want :)
Old 10-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

is there something wrong with the machines you own?
if funds are tight and the machines you own are good machines- why spend on a different one?
just me asking---
if the two you already own don't work so well-maybe having them serviced would be less expensive-
if you just want a new machine to have a new machine maybe you could sell one of the others (always keep a back up) to help off set the cost.

many very accomplished quilters make their fabulous masterpieces on very old basic machines-
start to finish....don't decide you need something new and expensive to improve your skills- only practice will improve skills not spending money
Old 10-20-2011, 12:34 PM

One of the machines she said she owns was the Brother CS6000. At least around here, it would be about the same price to buy a new one of those than to have it serviced, even for just a basic cleaning.

I know my second new machine came when I got a $100 cleaning quote, with a "any maintance would be extra" on a $130 machine...
Old 10-20-2011, 01:07 PM

Not only are the Bernina machines pricey but any accessories you need cast an arm and a leg. I personally would look at a Janome or Babylock.