Thread: Habitat ReStore
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 10:03 AM
MrsBoats

Every time I say something about mine I get questions, so I thought I'd make a separate post... and crow about today's finds at the bottom. :D

If you have a ReStore, go there! You'll be amazed at what they've got. Today, mine has a Singer 127 (I'm fairly sure-the one with the Sphinx and a bullet shuttle) in a decent table, a Walmart Brother, a nice mid-century modern sewing table and an ugly folding spool holder/sewing box (dunno what you call it-18" high, opens like a book but stands on feet).

In the past, I've bought a bunch of machines there (I go every Thursday); a two Singer 237s, a Singer 457, a couple 15 clones, the Nelco I use as my backup, and at least one more I'm forgetting the details of. They've recently changed their policy-everything electric has to be tested and working before it can be sold, or clearly marked that it's non-functional. I never care-most just need a good cleaning and some tlc. The most I've ever paid (for the Neclo) was $30.

They have sewing patterns and magazines, crochet/knitting books and patterns out the wazoo (including someone's knitting still on the needles-how sad), a bag of mixed yarns, a plastic drawer stack of latch hook rug yarn, a basket of zippers clearly salvaged from other things, a box of mixed fabric pieces, tons of ribbon with a bow-tying form, a couple of kits for various things... You name it. And I always go to check out their linens too, although I haven't found any handmade quilts yet.

Today I had time to spare, so I went through the giant heap of patterns. I bought a handful vintage patterns ordered from the newspaper, including one for a Davy Crockett costume, several Workbaskets with tatting patterns I liked (that's the other thing I do, when I'm not sewing), and a yard or so of some smooth pink mesh/netting, to make a laundry bag for my tights. Oh-and a zipper to go with it. Grand total-$1.05.

The folks at our ReStore recognize me by now, and while they can't hold anything for me, they're quick to point out that they've got something new that I might be interested. It was as I was buying my last machine that the lady cashing me out told me about a fantastic LQS about 20 minutes from me that I hadn't known about. They're just the nicest people, and Habitat does good things.

In short, I'm a fan! :P Plus, y'know, cool sewing stuff. What's not to like?