Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Habitat ReStore

Every time I say something about mine I get questions, so I thought I'd make a separate post... and crow about today's finds at the bottom. :D

If you have a ReStore, go there! You'll be amazed at what they've got. Today, mine has a Singer 127 (I'm fairly sure-the one with the Sphinx and a bullet shuttle) in a decent table, a Walmart Brother, a nice mid-century modern sewing table and an ugly folding spool holder/sewing box (dunno what you call it-18" high, opens like a book but stands on feet).

In the past, I've bought a bunch of machines there (I go every Thursday); a two Singer 237s, a Singer 457, a couple 15 clones, the Nelco I use as my backup, and at least one more I'm forgetting the details of. They've recently changed their policy-everything electric has to be tested and working before it can be sold, or clearly marked that it's non-functional. I never care-most just need a good cleaning and some tlc. The most I've ever paid (for the Neclo) was $30.

They have sewing patterns and magazines, crochet/knitting books and patterns out the wazoo (including someone's knitting still on the needles-how sad), a bag of mixed yarns, a plastic drawer stack of latch hook rug yarn, a basket of zippers clearly salvaged from other things, a box of mixed fabric pieces, tons of ribbon with a bow-tying form, a couple of kits for various things... You name it. And I always go to check out their linens too, although I haven't found any handmade quilts yet.

Today I had time to spare, so I went through the giant heap of patterns. I bought a handful vintage patterns ordered from the newspaper, including one for a Davy Crockett costume, several Workbaskets with tatting patterns I liked (that's the other thing I do, when I'm not sewing), and a yard or so of some smooth pink mesh/netting, to make a laundry bag for my tights. Oh-and a zipper to go with it. Grand total-$1.05.

The folks at our ReStore recognize me by now, and while they can't hold anything for me, they're quick to point out that they've got something new that I might be interested. It was as I was buying my last machine that the lady cashing me out told me about a fantastic LQS about 20 minutes from me that I hadn't known about. They're just the nicest people, and Habitat does good things.

In short, I'm a fan! :P Plus, y'know, cool sewing stuff. What's not to like?

Our ReStore only has building items, lights/lamps and furniture but I got a very nice toilet and lavatory for $7. It's also a great place to score a used interior door to make a table.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBoats
    Every time I say something about mine I get questions, so I thought I'd make a separate post... and crow about today's finds at the bottom. :D

If you have a ReStore, go there! You'll be amazed at what they've got. Today, mine has a Singer 127 (I'm fairly sure-the one with the Sphinx and a bullet shuttle) in a decent table, a Walmart Brother, a nice mid-century modern sewing table and an ugly folding spool holder/sewing box (dunno what you call it-18" high, opens like a book but stands on feet).

In the past, I've bought a bunch of machines there (I go every Thursday); a two Singer 237s, a Singer 457, a couple 15 clones, the Nelco I use as my backup, and at least one more I'm forgetting the details of. They've recently changed their policy-everything electric has to be tested and working before it can be sold, or clearly marked that it's non-functional. I never care-most just need a good cleaning and some tlc. The most I've ever paid (for the Neclo) was $30.

They have sewing patterns and magazines, crochet/knitting books and patterns out the wazoo (including someone's knitting still on the needles-how sad), a bag of mixed yarns, a plastic drawer stack of latch hook rug yarn, a basket of zippers clearly salvaged from other things, a box of mixed fabric pieces, tons of ribbon with a bow-tying form, a couple of kits for various things... You name it. And I always go to check out their linens too, although I haven't found any handmade quilts yet.

Today I had time to spare, so I went through the giant heap of patterns. I bought a handful vintage patterns ordered from the newspaper, including one for a Davy Crockett costume, several Workbaskets with tatting patterns I liked (that's the other thing I do, when I'm not sewing), and a yard or so of some smooth pink mesh/netting, to make a laundry bag for my tights. Oh-and a zipper to go with it. Grand total-$1.05.

The folks at our ReStore recognize me by now, and while they can't hold anything for me, they're quick to point out that they've got something new that I might be interested. It was as I was buying my last machine that the lady cashing me out told me about a fantastic LQS about 20 minutes from me that I hadn't known about. They're just the nicest people, and Habitat does good things.

In short, I'm a fan! :P Plus, y'know, cool sewing stuff. What's not to like?
    I too had not seen/heard of the 'Habitat Restores' But they are Great!! and are Nation wide you can go Online to find one in your area. And All the $$ goe's to help 'Habitat for Humanity'. Also you can Donate to them!

The Restores around me are also only building materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur
    The Restores around me are also only building materials.
    Here too, but if you're doing any projects, they are great!!

Don't you just love tatting?

Blog Entries
    I visit restore from time to time and sometimes they have sewing machines too. Haven't bought any though because it's very pricey!

congradulatiosn

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    Don't you just love tatting?

I think tatting was about the hardest of all the many things I like to do. Just kept trying and trying to get that knot. I finally did get the hang of it but haven't done it in a long while.

I have a restore here in Temecula, have never been....thought only building stuff...now I will have to go when I go to that end of town...

I suppose they're different from town to town. Ours started off as building supplies only, I think, but our paper mill closed a couple years ago, and all of a sudden everybody needed everything, cheap, and so they started taking other stuff. We've got building supplies (including a pea green footed bath tub), but they've also got small appliances, kitchen stuff (pots, pans, plates, glasses, etc) and linens. Oh, and books-they just had a giant bok sale last week. Today I saw that they've got a lot of their Christmas stuff out.

To each their own, I guess.

Our ReStore is for Habitat for Humanity. We go in there frequently, have found some neat things at times and nothing at other times. Ours carries a little bit of EVERYTHING. As far as, the building supplies they have some where people have remodeled and local stores donate new stuff when they have model yr changes. My DH being a wood worker has bought some nice wood there. He bought some oak cabinet doors and has made several things out of it.

Glad you found your bargains. DH and I saw a FW at ours about a 1yr and 1/2 ago and didn't get it, thought how silly we were not to, went back and she was gone. It still haunts him!
    Happy for you!...

Whats a ReStore?? Is that the name of it ?

Quote Originally Posted by familyfun
    Whats a ReStore?? Is that the name of it ?
    Habitat for Humanity has like a re-purpose, re-use store that accepts donations from everyone. the name of the store is
    "ReStore"....as "...back in a store reselling again.."...all processes go to the Habitate for Humanity foundation that builds low income housing....President Jimmy Carter is/was very involved in this great program.

OH.. Thank you.. Yes.. We have alot of Habitat for Humanity locations in OH.. I guess I never new they took in donations of stuff or sold things back to the public.
    Thank you again.. I will have to check it out.

Blog Entries
    I love going to restore, but never find sewing machines and such!!!

I love going to our Restore, but have not found a lot to buy. Ours too, is mostly furniture and building materials. I bought a really nice desk for 15.00 for a sewing table and a bunch of plastic sign boards for wrapping fabric on for .25 each. I had to pass up a nice white bookcase for 20.00 because I was driving the car. It was gone when I went back. They had some terrific shelving units with glass doors that must have come out of an office but they were way too expensive. It is just fun to look.

The ones in our area don't have much besides building materials yet. I miss the ones in the Raleigh Durham area. They had everything. And the books. my son loved to visit me just to go for the books. I spent a year up there working and really enjoyed the area. Just was ready to come home or I could have stayed longer. Anybody from that area know if they have the I540 extension to Holly Springs oopen yet?

In september, mine had 2 singer 15-91 machines. I bought just one of them... I love my 15-91!

Ours has 2 locations - one with building materials (and the occasional awesome sewing machine) and one with furniture, household goods, occasional sewing machines.

Blog Entries
    I saw an old kenmore with the table at a restore shop. I posted about it here in case anyone who lived near there wanted it. I think it was $15. Unfortunately the closest restore is an hour away in a direction we rarely go. Fortunately I'll be out that way in 9 days. :mrgreen: