View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 AM
nellebelles

Just to throw a wrench in it...if you haven't bought your new machine yet...Viking will be closing out their Sapphire 870's to make way for their newer models, the Sapphire 875. The only difference between the 870 and the 875 is the way the display area looks and the 875 will have a decorative tapering stitch. I just purchased a Viking Sapphire 870Q. I do a lot of quilting and it works just great with the larger area to work with and I absolutely love the thread cutter. I do still have to cut the threads from the back. Before I cut the threads I use the "fix" function to make sure nothing will come loose. I tried quilting with my Viking Designer SE after using the 870 and the difference in the bed was amazing. I felt all cramped up. I had a Bernina 440Q with the BSR and I didn't like it at all. To me, it didn't seem very user friendly. I felt like I had to keep the user manual close by to know how to use all the functions. It all comes down to user preference, and matching the machine to what you will be using it for. I like the Viking machines the best, but my DH, the sewing machine technician, prefers the Berninas the most.