Thread: Featherweights
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Honeynga

Originally Posted by AshleyR
I guess this is a dumb question.. What's "the big deal" about Featherweights? They're cute, but why are they in such demand?
I just got a FW last week and was so happy I cried once I got her in the car and was on my way home......MY biggest joy is that it is exactly like the one my foster mother made almost all of my clothes on when I was growing....she made me wool coats, every day clothes, prom dresses AND my wedding dress !

I also learned on sew on this machine. As I got older I thougth I was far above something so simple so I bought me a fancy dancy Singer with all the bell and whistle (at that time anyway)....made clothes for myself and my 3 girls...even made my husband wool pants with a matching vest on my fancy Singer !

As I've gotten older (almost 65) I've realized that the basic stuff is good enough and sometimes better ! I also have a couple of Brothers two Singers and a low end Bernina and now am the proud owner of Miss Jimmie, my FW ! I feel that my foster mother, Jimmie is smiling from heaven and glad that I've found such joy in a sewing machine !

I've spent a lot of time this week piecing on her and just love it. The neat thing was that when I sat down to thread her and wind the bobbin I didn't need to look at the instruction sheet as I do with some of my other machines....there is almost NO way to thread her improperly.........

I took a quilting class earlier this year and one of the participants brought her FW because they are obviously lighter weight that other machines and piece beautifully.

Just waiting for another class so I can take my baby and show her off !!!