View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 04:24 AM
AshleyR

Yes, this is the "early 70's Elna". I used the needle that came with it. No, wait! It broke! Maybe that's when I started having problems! I took the needle out of my Singer (and I did double-check and make sure I was putting it in right). Then I rethreaded the machine. And I rethreaded it again when I started having trouble.

I bet it didn't like the needle. I'll buy a new pack today and start all over again. I was also using some thread that came with my house so I'll try some new thread too.

I did try to adjust the tension and I tried different scraps (I was "quilting" when it happened, so I pulled out my cotton scraps when I started trying to fix it). I took the bobbin out and cleaned out in there (was actually quite clean) and I had oiled it before I started.

Realizing now that it happened *after* the needle broke is my V8 moment. It's weird though, because it worked good for a while and then started acting up.

I also emailed the lady I bought it from, and she said she never had that problem with that machine, but suggested adjusting the tension.

I know what I'm doing this weekend! :)

Thanks all!