View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 04:04 PM
ube quilting
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
Almost always cut straight on grain (across)...only time I do bias is if binding is going on a curve. I use the binding tips on my ironing board, much more cost effective....however next binding I am not even use them but fold in half and then fold in half. Theory is, where the wear is, on the edge will be double fold, as compared to single layer only if rare edges are folded to center and then folded again.....Took some thinging to kinda work it thru in your head....but does work....am also going to get a pair of thermal thimbles to protect my fingers.....
This is called french binding when doubled. If a quilt is going to be used it really helps with wear. Wall hangings can stand the single fold and keeps them lighter in weight
so there is less draging it down.

There was an earlier tip on the QB about not ironing the fabric in half before sewing it on the quilt. Just fold the binding as you sew it onto the quilt. And then as you bring the binding to the back to stitch it down there is a nice curve around the edge of the quilt and you don't have to fight with the ironed pleat going crooked on you as you sew it to the back. I tried this and really liked it. I will hunt for the post and reference for it everyone.

EDIT: I tried searching for it and found lots of people who don't iron their binding. Do a search on binding and you will get lots of great stuff! I think simple is best!
peace