View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 PM
eparys

Originally Posted by Quiltntime
Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Do you own a serger? How often would an ordinary quilter use such a machine, and how do you use it in your quilting? Just curious here.
I've owned a serger since the early '90s. I've serged everything from unlined jackets to lingerie. Now, that I'm into quilting exclusively, I have made more than 10 reversible quilts, and plan to make more. Love my serger! :thumbup:
Ok - I have had a serger since 1983. When my kids were small, I sewed/serged all their play clothes, sleepers and swimsuits. Yes I did say swimsuits. My daughter was on a swim team and I could not afford a new $69 suit every year. I made her a new swim suit every year from a Stretch- n - Sew pattern that was great.

I am on serger #2 now. I now have a 5 thread Viking which I love. Now that I am not making kids clothes, I use my serger for finishing quilt edges before I bind them, serging edges of fabric that will other wise fray and general maintenance of fabric. If used on cotton I would use a three thread and a longer stitch length. It would also be great on a baby quilt which would receive lots of washing. Some folks do quilt with them - I am not sure that I would like the extra bulk in a cotton quilt-top but I would not hesitate to use it on fleece. I have also used it on wool and flannel.

I love it and would not be without it.