View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 08:49 PM
auntpiggylpn

Originally Posted by CarolH
after reading this i thought i'd share mine, i tried a new quilt store, she was very friendly and eager to help, i new basically what i wanted, i took the pattern with me told her what i wanted, now she said it was her job to push my boundaries when purchasing fabric, i like brights and pastles and small print nothing 'loud' , well she finally got me to buy what she wanted to sell me, it looked ok together but i wasn't sure, so off i go and cut it all up and put it together well i couldn't see the pattern at all just a mess, so did about 8 blocks still couldn't see the pattern, got dh he couldn't see it so sewed if up for 6yo grandaughts, still couldn'y see the pattern,..that fabric cost $172....how do you politely refuse there help?

Yikes!!! My new to quilting friend got roped into a similar situation when he visited a quilt shop near his house. He already had a sewing machine (brand new that I took him shopping for July of 2010) He wanted to take a quilting class. This quilting class wound up costing him $300 for the 4 classes and the materials. She also convinced him that he needed different thread ($30) and new rotary cutter and mat (which we had just bought) and rulers. She eventually talked him into a new sewing machine ($700). Long story short, in less than 2 months, she was able to get almost $1500 out of him. His mistake was thinking that this shop owner had his best interest in mind!!! He has learned a valuable (and expensive!) lesson.