View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 08:56 PM
QuiltnLady1

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
So glad to hear that you had a wonderful experience. I too am soo happy when I enter a quilt shop, whether it is a local one or a shop I have stumbled upon during my travels. I get a little "high" just looking and petting the beautiful fabrics! That being said, I have been completely ignored upon entering a shop, I have been ignored for the 1 1/2 hours that I have spent in the shop, I have been brushed aside when a frequent customer comes into the shop, I have been unable to get fabric cut because the staff was on the phone talking about their plans for the upcoming weekend, etc. So No, I don't think it is the attitude of the customer that creats a less than spectacular LQS experience. But I also won't spend my money in those shops either. There will always be another LQS down the road that will have the same fabric selection and that will have friendly and helpful staff that will get that sale. I just don't visit those shops again and I'm sure that it is no sweat off their back that I don't come back.
I too love going into a quilt shop, particularly when we are traveling (new blood :) ). I have walked into shops where the staff looks up, does not recognize me and basically ignores me. Then I have been in shops that I walk in and am treated as an old friend. They ask if I am looking for something special or am I just looking. I usually ask what the shop specialty is and I wander. One of my favorite shops was Great American Quilt Factory (home of Possibilities) in the Denver area -- I felt so at home, so sorry they closed.