Thread: Sad News
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 09:41 AM
countrycottage

Same thing happened here. We had 5 stores that sold fabric when Walmart came to town. Soon we had only Walmart, but at least they did have a decent fabric department. Then their fabric department started to get smaller and smaller, until they completely closed it. Now we have none. I must drive about 45 miles one-way to purchase fabric and most notions.

Originally Posted by jad1044
Many closed around here when Walmarts came in and basically run them out of business; then when Walmarts started to refuse selling fabric any longer, I harped on them constantly and I mean constantly! They drove our businesses out of business - and they will never come back, and now Walmart was turning chicken and their backs on us quilters by not selling any longer either? Then the payback is to begin telling people to shop Dollar General, or any place but Walmarts! And I no longer shop Walmarts unless they have a super center, so I can buy groceries - or UNLESS they have fabric. Many followed in my footsteps, but I won't take all the credit by any means; it just was not right - now all our small towns are without the local fabric stores they used to have. We have to drive miles to buy fabric or do it online, and many older ladies do not use computers - thus they set without fabric until someone either picks up fabric for them, or they get to go to a larger city where they can get a chance to shop themselves. Most do not even drive anymore, but their hands can still quilt - bless their hearts - but it makes it rough on the older set and inconvenient for those who do still drive.