Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad News

I was just told today that our LQS is shutting its doors on Nov. 26th, after being in business 40 years! I have taught classes there and made so many friends. I just can't believe it. She is still going to have an on-line business. But our gathering place will be gone. The nearest QS is an hour away. This is a sad day for me and many many others.

It is a sad day when a quilt shop closes.

Blog Entries
    so sorry to hear that news

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear that

So sorry to hear that.

Blog Entries
    Awwww that is sad

:(

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    That is a bummer.

Power Poster
    so sorry to hear

It is always sad news to hear about LQS closings. :( I received in email from Craft Town Fabrics that they where shutting down the actual store but that they would keep the online ordering going. Something tells me things will get worse before we see the "better"!!

RIP the LQS. :(

Blog Entries
    Maybe y'all could post a notice & a sign-up sheet to form a quilting group - maybe even name it after the shop - & start looking for a place to meet. We used to meet in the Hospitality Room at the library, or at the parish hall of one of the local churches. Wouldn't that be a great legacy for all those years of hard work & the quilters could stay in touch with each other. Now, if y'all could just find something to talk about... :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    that is so sad, maybe you can organize a sewing group in your area to meet at a local library to sew and have fun with other crafters

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer
    I was just told today that our LQS is shutting its doors on Nov. 26th, after being in business 40 years! I have taught classes there and made so many friends. I just can't believe it. She is still going to have an on-line business. But our gathering place will be gone. The nearest QS is an hour away. This is a sad day for me and many many others.
    I know what you mean. Our LQS closed and went to an online business. Now he charges me $10.95 Priority mail even though we are 5 minutes apart. It is ridiculous. He won't even let me pick up the package. I can order from other places for less.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinggirl
    It is always sad news to hear about LQS closings. :( I received in email from Craft Town Fabrics that they where shutting down the actual store but that they would keep the online ordering going. Something tells me things will get worse before we see the "better"!!
    Craft Town is the shop I am speaking of. A special place with over 7000 bolts of fabric, and a large classroom down stairs. After 40 years it is a land mark. It will be missed.

Blog Entries
    I am sorry for your troubles...

Quote Originally Posted by knlsmith
    RIP the LQS. :(
    DITTO

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    Jackie is there a church or a senior center near you that you could use a room at to meet and sew? Always sad to see a business close..crafty_linda_b

Blog Entries
    yes, a very sad day when a quilt store closes. :( there is so much sharing and bonding that goes on inside a place of business. online, is just not the same.

So sorry-hope many will make the effort to meet together & there will be a way for you to keep teaching.

That's sad. I hope you find another place to meet.

Medford, Wisconsin, up north in God's country
    I know how you feel with the shop closing. Two wks ago we all received a letter saying that the CUTTING EDGE" in Weston, WI was closing. They also have another shop in Antigo, WI but that is way out of my way. They will have a huge sale & keep the sewing machines in Antigo. My daughter lived 30 mls. down the RD. from there so I always stopped at the Shop on my way to her house. What a bummer I really liked their selection of items :)

40 years - they probably want to retire. Sorry to hear

Quote Originally Posted by carrieg
    40 years - they probably want to retire. Sorry to hear
    No, they retired several yrs. ago, their daughter has run the shop for the past 12 years, and done a fantastic job.

I know what you mean. Our LQS closed and went to an online business. Now he charges me $10.95 Priority mail even though we are 5 minutes apart. It is ridiculous. He won't even let me pick up the package. I can order from other places for less.[/quote]

When there are no more LQS left, prices online and from the chains will be less competitive. It's a vicious circle. While we all want to be smart with our own budgets, we are sad when the LQS close. My rule of thumb is to buy local first, willing to pay 10-30% more plus the cost of shipping. I also try to ask my LQS (fortunate to still have several within an hour drive) to get items I know I want. At least I'm giving them the chance. When I go for a free or cheap demo or class, I try to buy something. I get superb, expert, friendly, genuinely warm service from Quilters' Heaven and Quilters' Destination and I try to go to Quilt Haven in my hometownof Rockford at least once per year. There are other good ones in this area, but these are real treasures to me. When I lived in Wichita, Praire Quilts, Kechi Quilt Shop, and a LQS in Newton were worth the expense. Shibori Dragon and Keepsake Quilting are my not-so-local faves.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast