Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sad News >

Sad News

Sad News

Old 10-25-2011, 05:22 PM

That's sad. I hope you find another place to meet.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:43 PM

I know how you feel with the shop closing. Two wks ago we all received a letter saying that the CUTTING EDGE" in Weston, WI was closing. They also have another shop in Antigo, WI but that is way out of my way. They will have a huge sale & keep the sewing machines in Antigo. My daughter lived 30 mls. down the RD. from there so I always stopped at the Shop on my way to her house. What a bummer I really liked their selection of items :)
Old 10-25-2011, 05:46 PM

40 years - they probably want to retire. Sorry to hear
Old 10-25-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by carrieg
40 years - they probably want to retire. Sorry to hear
No, they retired several yrs. ago, their daughter has run the shop for the past 12 years, and done a fantastic job.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:31 AM

I know what you mean. Our LQS closed and went to an online business. Now he charges me $10.95 Priority mail even though we are 5 minutes apart. It is ridiculous. He won't even let me pick up the package. I can order from other places for less.[/quote]

When there are no more LQS left, prices online and from the chains will be less competitive. It's a vicious circle. While we all want to be smart with our own budgets, we are sad when the LQS close. My rule of thumb is to buy local first, willing to pay 10-30% more plus the cost of shipping. I also try to ask my LQS (fortunate to still have several within an hour drive) to get items I know I want. At least I'm giving them the chance. When I go for a free or cheap demo or class, I try to buy something. I get superb, expert, friendly, genuinely warm service from Quilters' Heaven and Quilters' Destination and I try to go to Quilt Haven in my hometownof Rockford at least once per year. There are other good ones in this area, but these are real treasures to me. When I lived in Wichita, Praire Quilts, Kechi Quilt Shop, and a LQS in Newton were worth the expense. Shibori Dragon and Keepsake Quilting are my not-so-local faves.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:32 AM
Power Poster

That's sad. I still miss one of ours that closed.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:44 AM

That is heartbreaking.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:56 AM

that is sad. it is always sad when a quilt shop closes. hope you can still find a meeting place for you all when it closes.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:17 AM

This is a loss - both for you, and folks that don't even realize it - the potential for future quilters in your area... :(
Old 10-26-2011, 04:33 AM

I'm afraid with from $12.99-$16.99 a yard fabric, this is the wave of the future. We have two quilt shops left in my immediate area. The one closest to me closed in July. Truly, how many can afford that kind of price for ONE yard???? The sales online are often times high quality fabric for half that price. I don't think it is possible for us to keep up with the prices at the LQS like that anymore, at least it isn't for me.