Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sad News >

Sad News

Sad News

Old 10-26-2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinggirl
It is always sad news to hear about LQS closings. :( I received in email from Craft Town Fabrics that they where shutting down the actual store but that they would keep the online ordering going. Something tells me things will get worse before we see the "better"!!
What a beautiful avitar!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:41 AM

Maybe after forty years, the lady just needs a rest and some quality time. Customers CAN be a pain once in a while.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:42 AM

What she said!

Originally Posted by star619
Maybe y'all could post a notice & a sign-up sheet to form a quilting group - maybe even name it after the shop - & start looking for a place to meet. We used to meet in the Hospitality Room at the library, or at the parish hall of one of the local churches. Wouldn't that be a great legacy for all those years of hard work & the quilters could stay in touch with each other. Now, if y'all could just find something to talk about... :thumbup:
Old 10-26-2011, 04:44 AM

My favorite has closed its doors due to the owners retirement. I am so sad. The staff was amazingly gifted, the quilt samples were inspiring, the store itself was spacious, well lit, held lovely fabrics, the classes were excellent. I always left feeling up beat and encouraged.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:46 AM

Many closed around here when Walmarts came in and basically run them out of business; then when Walmarts started to refuse selling fabric any longer, I harped on them constantly and I mean constantly! They drove our businesses out of business - and they will never come back, and now Walmart was turning chicken and their backs on us quilters by not selling any longer either? Then the payback is to begin telling people to shop Dollar General, or any place but Walmarts! And I no longer shop Walmarts unless they have a super center, so I can buy groceries - or UNLESS they have fabric. Many followed in my footsteps, but I won't take all the credit by any means; it just was not right - now all our small towns are without the local fabric stores they used to have. We have to drive miles to buy fabric or do it online, and many older ladies do not use computers - thus they set without fabric until someone either picks up fabric for them, or they get to go to a larger city where they can get a chance to shop themselves. Most do not even drive anymore, but their hands can still quilt - bless their hearts - but it makes it rough on the older set and inconvenient for those who do still drive.

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

where is the shoppe? you are in hiding so tell us who is closing please

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer
I was just told today that our LQS is shutting its doors on Nov. 26th, after being in business 40 years! I have taught classes there and made so many friends. I just can't believe it. She is still going to have an on-line business. But our gathering place will be gone. The nearest QS is an hour away. This is a sad day for me and many many others.

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

where is the shoppe? you are in hiding so tell us who is closing please

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer
I was just told today that our LQS is shutting its doors on Nov. 26th, after being in business 40 years! I have taught classes there and made so many friends. I just can't believe it. She is still going to have an on-line business. But our gathering place will be gone. The nearest QS is an hour away. This is a sad day for me and many many others.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by star619
Maybe y'all could post a notice & a sign-up sheet to form a quilting group - maybe even name it after the shop - & start looking for a place to meet. We used to meet in the Hospitality Room at the library, or at the parish hall of one of the local churches. Wouldn't that be a great legacy for all those years of hard work & the quilters could stay in touch with each other. Now, if y'all could just find something to talk about... :thumbup:
I think that's a great idea!!! Sorry the shop is closing, that is truly sad!!! :cry:
Old 10-26-2011, 05:05 AM

Craft Town is awesome, wish I lived closer.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:05 AM

So sorry always a sad time when that happens.