Old 10-28-2011, 06:24 AM
sarahsews

Originally Posted by Jim
Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
I checked out the tute by Eddie. That makes it look so much easier than doing it totally by hand.

I see what you mean about crazy amounts of fabric. The pattern I have says that you'll need 26 yards for the framing fabric and then 4 yards worth of scraps for the little squares. I think I'll do mine traditionally with muslin. I may have to buy a whole bolt of muslin.... 26 yards will add up $$.
YES but catch a 40 or 50% off coupon from JoAnns and it makes the sting much easier to take....I find buying that much at a time also guarantees you a consistency in the fabric
~~~
Some things I found out by trial and error...

Use the good muslin by Kona (not Roc-lon)- it's worth the difference in price because after you spend so much time on a handmade CW quilt you want it to be heirloom quality. Roc-lon is fine for wallhangings which likely won't get washed often. And I always use a 50% off coupon @ JoAnn Fabrics, & buy it by the bolt/s.

I've made several large CW quilts by hand. After the first one I found it worked best for me to make placemat size sections, then assemble them into rows, and then assemble the rows.

One of them was made in a "Trip around the World" pattern, so that took planning ahead.

But mostly you will need patience. Ask me how I know! ;-) Having a long table helps too in the home stretch when assembling the long rows. It was easier to assemble the quilt into two big halves and then stitch together the halves.

Sarah