Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for advice on Cathedral Windows quilt >

Looking for advice on Cathedral Windows quilt

Looking for advice on Cathedral Windows quilt

Old 10-27-2011, 02:32 PM

My daughter and her husband celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary this month. My mother-in-law made my hubby and me a beautiful quilt for our 25th many years ago. So I thought making a quilt for my daughter is appropriate. I should have started it but wanted to wait and let her pick the pattern and colors.

We were at her house (750 miles away) this past weekend and I took my favorite book of quilt patterns, Encyclopedia of Classic Quilt Patterns. She picked three patterns and said you pick which one you want to make...... but she kept going back to the Cathedral Windows quilt..... so I know that is the one she would REALLY like to have.

I've never made a Cathedral Windows quilt. What trama am I in for? I'm going to make a block tonight to see how long that will take me....... Help me out here..... Give me some advice.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:36 PM

There is a great tutorial by Eddie on the board for this. It will give you an idea of what you are in for. They are gorgeous quilts.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lisainmo
There is a great tutorial by Eddie on the board for this. It will give you an idea of what you are in for. They are gorgeous quilts.
Yes, check out his tut!!!! It does take some time, but worth the offort...and I only did a small sampler!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

there is now a book and special rulers out to make them by machine-that are stunning!
but i love making cathedral windows by hand- it is a great project- and really not difficult at all.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

oops- haven't done the dog-gone double posting in a while---sorry
Old 10-27-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
there is now a book and special rulers out to make them by machine-that are stunning!
but i love making cathedral windows by hand- it is a great project- and really not difficult at all.
What is the name of the book/rulers? Thanks
Old 10-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lisainmo
This is a cool tute for CW. It is still a time consuming pattern but well worth it and it is beautiful when done!
peace
Old 10-27-2011, 03:54 PM

The book is by Lynne Edwards. The ruler is ONLY for 3 by 4 1/2 rectangles. You dont need either. Use Eddie's tute. I am making one right now. If you want rectangles in yours, PM me. Finally it takes oodles of fabric! Crazy amounts. I thought I had enough and I dont have half of what I need.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:03 PM

I checked out the tute by Eddie. That makes it look so much easier than doing it totally by hand.

I see what you mean about crazy amounts of fabric. The pattern I have says that you'll need 26 yards for the framing fabric and then 4 yards worth of scraps for the little squares. I think I'll do mine traditionally with muslin. I may have to buy a whole bolt of muslin.... 26 yards will add up $$.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:36 PM

What size are you making? I am making a twin and I think I just figured 13.5 yards for the framing plus then the window fabric. But then I am not going by a pattern and I am just trying to do the math. I have lots and lots of FQ and half yards.