Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for advice on Cathedral Windows quilt >

Looking for advice on Cathedral Windows quilt

Looking for advice on Cathedral Windows quilt

Old 10-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Power Poster

I'm making one using Eddies tute. Seemed like a lot of fabric but it works up nice and when I'm done I'm done. No backing or extra quilting needed.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:58 PM

We just had a class on Cathedral Windows by Machine last weekend and it is so incredibly fast and pretty easy. There are some tutorials on YouTube that are pretty good. I can ask our instructor if she would mind me sending you a copy of her handout if you would like. Just PM me.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:04 PM

The great thing about CW is when you finish the top---you are FINISHED! No batt, no lining, no quilting!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl
oops- haven't done the dog-gone double posting in a while---sorry
Can't say that again for awhile. Hehehe
Old 10-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Jim

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
I checked out the tute by Eddie. That makes it look so much easier than doing it totally by hand.

I see what you mean about crazy amounts of fabric. The pattern I have says that you'll need 26 yards for the framing fabric and then 4 yards worth of scraps for the little squares. I think I'll do mine traditionally with muslin. I may have to buy a whole bolt of muslin.... 26 yards will add up $$.
YES but catch a 40 or 50% off coupon from JoAnns and it makes the sting much easier to take....I find buying that much at a time also guarantees you a consistency in the fabric
Old 10-28-2011, 05:27 AM

There's also a U Tube video on a "ten minute" block which looks very similar to a Cathedral Windows block, or at least it does to me. LOL
Old 10-28-2011, 05:38 AM

I checked out the tute by Eddie. That makes it look so much easier than doing it totally by hand.

I see what you mean about crazy amounts of fabric. The pattern I have says that you'll need 26 yards for the framing fabric and then 4 yards worth of scraps for the little squares. I think I'll do mine traditionally with muslin. I may have to buy a whole bolt of muslin.... 26 yards will add up $$.
Don't forget if you use muslin you can buy 120" wide instead of 45" wide!! almost 3x the fabric and usually only a little more $/yard
Old 10-28-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jim

YES but catch a 40 or 50% off coupon from JoAnns and it makes the sting much easier to take....I find buying that much at a time also guarantees you a consistency in the fabric
~~~
Some things I found out by trial and error...

Use the good muslin by Kona (not Roc-lon)- it's worth the difference in price because after you spend so much time on a handmade CW quilt you want it to be heirloom quality. Roc-lon is fine for wallhangings which likely won't get washed often. And I always use a 50% off coupon @ JoAnn Fabrics, & buy it by the bolt/s.

I've made several large CW quilts by hand. After the first one I found it worked best for me to make placemat size sections, then assemble them into rows, and then assemble the rows.

One of them was made in a "Trip around the World" pattern, so that took planning ahead.

But mostly you will need patience. Ask me how I know! ;-) Having a long table helps too in the home stretch when assembling the long rows. It was easier to assemble the quilt into two big halves and then stitch together the halves.

Sarah
Old 10-28-2011, 06:44 AM

I agree about not buying Roc-Lon. I'm current doing a CW using 108" wide 15 yard bolt of Roc-Lon. It's quite flimsey. I'll probably turn this piece into curtains instead of a quilt. Lesson learned.

A queen CW quilt calls for roughly 25 yards of 44" wide fabric for the body of the quilt. I'm going by Eddie's tute. I'm cutting the muslin pieces 8.75" and the 'glass' pieces 2.5". 2.5" on the small pieces is a smidgen too big so next time I cut a batch, I'll cut them 2.25".
Old 10-28-2011, 06:57 AM

Roc Lon has many many different grades/qualites of muslin. I have used the premium pre-shrunk permanent press. I buy it by the bolts. I particularly like the bleached version.
Jo Ann's carries the cheapest quality Roc lon muslin. I made that mistake only once.