Thread: Guilds
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 12:39 PM
dunster
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MissJMac
Originally Posted by lfletcher
I have never heard of a guild having a waiting list. Why do they limit the number of their members?
Originally Posted by Sunnie
I thought about it, but the local guild has quite a waiting list. Plus I'm not sure I could fulfill the time requirements as my dogs and dog shows take up a lot of time.
I'm trying to give the "waiting list" issue the benefit of the doubt - perhaps the meeting place has limited space.
Any other reasons I can think of (and there are several) are totally unacceptable and I wouldn't want to be affiliated with these people.
I've been thinking about the waiting list too. Limited meeting space is the most obvious reason, but there is another. The character of a guild changes completely when it becomes really large. Many people who would volunteer to be on the board of a small guild are intimidated by a large one. Show and tell becomes less personal, and hard to see when the meeting room holds 100+ people. Members can't know all the other members or invite all of them over for tea and cookies (and quilting). Now don't get me wrong - I belong to a big guild (and a small one) and I love the advantages of both. But I can understand people founding a small guild and wanting to keep it that way. And to do so they have to come up with a maximum number of members and stick with it, otherwise they would be rejecting some new applicants and accepting others. So I've come to the conclusion that having a waiting list is perfectly fine and understandable.