Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guilds >

Guilds

Guilds

Old 10-30-2011, 04:57 AM

I belong to guilds
Old 10-30-2011, 06:52 AM

Guilds have their place in the quilting world. Just visit for awhile and decide if it's a good fit for you.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:32 AM

I am in two guilds, one in the same town I live and the second about 45 minutes away. the one in town is larger and I don't find them very welcoming/friendly. they do beautiful work though. the second, even though I come from out of town, has welcomed me with open arms, already taken a few road trips and retreats with them. so I say look around, try a few meetings and then make a choice.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:46 AM

We have two groups here in the Yukon...the Kluane's quilters guild which I just joined yesterday and the Pine Tree quilters who I'm not sure are an actual guild, they may be a group (I know several of the members on a casual basis so I'm going to look into some future meetings when the kids schedules work out that I can make it).

I joined because I think it's very important to support the local quilting community, plus it gives me a chance to meet more people, become friendlier with those I've encountered at classes and at the LQS.

And I get to take advantage of taking part in workshops, etc. The Kluane group is bringing up Sue Spargo for a workshop in the spring and I can't wait!!! They just had Carol Taylor here and while I didn't get to take part in her workshop (as a non-member I didn't have a clue she was coming!!!) I did get to see a talk she gave and presentation of several of her quilts. It was fantastic.

For the most part, when people group together those that know each other, or have personal relationships with each other tend to hang out. I know when I take some of my classes, I've signed up usually with a friend so we can do something fun together...doesn't mean we are a clique by any means, we just go as a team! And even though I'm the shyest person in the world, I do try to make the effort to say hello to those around me and ask them questions. It breaks the ice. If I'm tired or not feeling it though, I don't. Doesn't mean I'm a grumpypuss or rude, just that I'm in a quiet headspace and wish to remain quiet and hang out with my friend.

Its funny, a co-worker and I ended up at the same class (quite accidentally)...we each went in with a different attitude and you know what? the next day we each had a different perception of how the evening went. I'm a laid back, just enjoy the moment kind of girl (I know, I've been accused of being the office polly-anna on occasion) and meanwhile the other person didn't have a great time at all. I remember a lot of sighing from her area. Hearing her talk about it the next day, it sort of sounded like it had been a waste of time, effort, $$, etc. Two totally different perceptions of the same day.

I've also been a member of the local needlework guild for over 10 years...I joined a month after moving here. These women opened up life in the Yukon for me, they gave me a place to go once a month, and budding friendships (one who has become one of my bestest friends ever). While my schedule makes it impossible for me to attend meetings this year, I'm still a member, I support them, and I know they will be there when I again have the time.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:14 AM

I have found that a quilting bee is a better fit for me. My dear friends in my bee here in Florida meet once a week at one member's wonderful studio behind her house, we sew, go to lunch and come back and sew some more. It is informal, no dues, no "we need you do to _____", just Vitamin F (friendship) and fun chatter. Sometimes we are all working on our own projects and other times we try out a new technique together. Seven lovely ladies with different backgrounds, religions, politics, but all with a love of quilting and willingness to give of themselves in friendship. I will miss them so much when I head back to Washington this week.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:20 AM

I do belong to 2 quilds and 1 other group.

Talking with friend who have been with guilds longer than I have I have learned that they seem to go through phases of having some difficulties. I am with one guild to help it overcome the difficulties but may take a break from the other guild for a while and just attend as a non-member.

I have made friends with each guild and group who I dearly cherish.

ali
Old 10-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Kas

I love my guild! I am sort of the new girl even though I have been a member for a couple of years. I have not been too active in doing stuff except helping with our quilt show in the antique machine booth. I have recently started going to the charity sews and a bee within the guild and now I am really starting to meet people. The more things you do in small groups, the more you learn and the more people you get to know. If you want to get to know more people, sit at their table during the meeting. Introduce yourself and talk!
Old 10-30-2011, 04:33 PM

The guild I joined meets once a month. I like to go because it's a way for me to share my quilting progress. Last meeting, a guild member wanted my quilt to hang on the board and 5 or 6 people went up to see how I did. That really made my quilting day.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I belong to three guilds. Two good size and one really small.

I will say it's nearly impossible to actually get to know people you only see 2 hours a month. Join in the activities and you'll get to know people a little better.

As to cliques, groups of friends sit together and visit with each other. So would you. As soon as you get to know some of them you'll be included because they're not really cliques, just groups of friends.
Thank you scissors Queen, that is exactly how I feel, and I am happy to add new friends.