Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guilds >

Guilds

Guilds

Old 10-29-2011, 02:50 AM

SouthPStitches, thanks for posting this because I have had the same question! I have no opinion but am very interested in thhe comments.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:52 AM

I was new in this community and thought by joining a guild I could meet some new people, however I found members sat with the same members every time and it was difficult to break into a group. Also the same people did "show and tell" every month. When the dues were doubled I decided I would rather pay $5 to attend when the program was of a topic in which I was interested.d
Old 10-29-2011, 03:16 AM

The first few that I tried we cliquey, nasty and competitive so almost became a quilting recluse. The one I now belong to invited me to join them They are stimulating, sharing and friendly. My productivity has increased since belonging to such a great group of creative people - certainly better than living in an echo chamber.I would encourage you to find a nice group to join as it is mentally and emotionally healthy for you.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom
I thought about joining the local guild. Visited for an evening with one of my best friends and my mom. We all left with the same feeling of non-acceptance. The women who ran the guild, skipped over us when it came to show and tell time, when clearly we had finished projects and WIP's on lap and in hands ready to show. When we raised our hands throughout the course of the night, we were ignored. Not one woman greeted us or said one word to us all night, 2-3 hours!

I don't really want to make a long drive to find a guild where I'm accepted and belong.

PS-none of us had any deformities and we all bathe regularly.
I am sorry you were treated so badly at this guild meeting. I love the guild I belong to, everyone is so nice & friendlly and were from the very first time I went. We meet 2 times a month, one is a business meeting and the other is a sew-in. We take trips to quilt shows & quilt shops.
Did I say I love my Guild? Well I do.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:20 AM

I belong to two Guilds and enjoy them both. You can participate in as much or as little as you want to. You can really stay busy with the charity parts if you want. The best part is the Bee that's within one of the Guilds. We go on retreats together, get together once a month, go on road trips and have a great time together. I don't know what I'd do without my Bee buddies.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:36 AM

I joined the guild at the senior center to get help quilting as it was new to me and that was 2 years ago. Not only am i learning a few tricks of quilting i have made some good friends. We meet once a week in the morning and i get so inspired i sew all afternoon when i get home. I do enjoy it.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:40 AM

Joined a quild last month. Thought I would give it a few visits and see but the first month lived up to "quild" reputation. Cold and unaccepting!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:41 AM

I belong to two different guilds one large and one small I have been debating what I want to do for next year as there are several different places around here that meets to sew and I think I would rather spend my time doing that than sitting in a meeting but it also depends on the guild and do they have activities if so it is best if you participate as it is more learning and getting aquainted I have learned a lot over the years at the clubs and quilds that I was part of
Old 10-29-2011, 03:41 AM

I belong to two different guilds one large and one small I have been debating what I want to do for next year as there are several different places around here that meets to sew and I think I would rather spend my time doing that than sitting in a meeting but it also depends on the guild and do they have activities if so it is best if you participate as it is more learning and getting aquainted I have learned a lot over the years at the clubs and quilds that I was part of
Old 10-29-2011, 03:45 AM

I recently moved from a small urban area. The small (25) guild I was in had a weekly luncheon, bi-monthly meeting, and several sew-in meetings every month. I loved it and made a lot of friends. I've moved to a much larger urban area and have joined a guild here; however, there are over 300 members, they have one monthly show and tell/speaker meeting, and the entire group doesn't have any get-togethers. I'm trying to join one of the smaller sub-groups that meet more frequently, but I'm really missing my smaller guild.