Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guilds >

Guilds

Guilds

Old 10-28-2011, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

I belong to a large guild (over 300 members) and a small guild (under 30). Both have their advantages, and that's why I enjoy both.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:21 AM

I thought about joining the local guild. Visited for an evening with one of my best friends and my mom. We all left with the same feeling of non-acceptance. The women who ran the guild, skipped over us when it came to show and tell time, when clearly we had finished projects and WIP's on lap and in hands ready to show. When we raised our hands throughout the course of the night, we were ignored. Not one woman greeted us or said one word to us all night, 2-3 hours!

I don't really want to make a long drive to find a guild where I'm accepted and belong.

PS-none of us had any deformities and we all bathe regularly.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:25 AM

I don't care for guilds for various reasons, but it is a matter of personal choice.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:28 PM

I didn't do guilds for years, then tried joining the local one here. It was too big and too clique-y for me. I've got my friend Peggi, who is my biggest cheerleader, and my friends on the web. Seem to have better luck with that!
Old 10-28-2011, 03:39 PM

I belong to three guilds. Two good size and one really small.

I will say it's nearly impossible to actually get to know people you only see 2 hours a month. Join in the activities and you'll get to know people a little better.

As to cliques, groups of friends sit together and visit with each other. So would you. As soon as you get to know some of them you'll be included because they're not really cliques, just groups of friends.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:52 PM

I have to disagree with you on with the cliques, in my case. It was clear that at least 3 groups of people that I sat around wanted to talk to nobody but each other. No matter how much I tried to join the conversations, I was dismissed with chair turns, funny looks and flat out ignoring me (and the girl I was sitting next to who was also trying to "fit in"). After 6 months of this, I left.

While I agree that it's hard to get to know people you only see a couple of hours a month, it really isn't that difficult to include a newbie in a conversation or make them feel welcome. I didn't feel any more part of the group after 6 months than I did on the first day.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by auntmag
I don't care for guilds for various reasons, but it is a matter of personal choice.
I have never been in a quilting guild, but I was a member
of the ASG (American Sewing Guild) and gave it up this
year.

I TRIED to attend the local meetings and sew & tells, but
I was the youngest person there and the ladies were NOT
all that friendly to me because I was not in their "social"
league and so forth.

Wish I had a friend close by that I could get together with
for sewing time.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Banned

I joined one guild just a couple of weeks ago. Several of the members kept inviting me to join as they are my customers at Walmart. My co-worker belongs so I go with her.

I've not decided if it is really 'my thing', because of the time involved to really be involved with all they do. I work, have my own longarm/quilting business and spend time doing my own quilting.

I've not been involved long enough to talk to everyone, but am sure as I get to know them and they get to know me it will be better.
They have about 80 members.

Another guild that meets closer to home has invited me to visit/join them. I've not been able to yet, but plan to at least visit. They have about 30 members.

Phyllis
QuitingGrannie

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-21-2011 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

It makes me so sad to hear about people who are given the cold shoulder at guild meetings. I know that in my small guild we try very hard to make visitors and new members feel welcome. At the big guild's meetings that is much harder. Once I was sitting right by a visitor and didn't even know she was not a longtime member until near the end of the meeting, when visitors were introduced. But even at the big guild's meetings, if someone wants to join a conversation they are welcome to do so, and I have never seen anyone treated badly. It's such a shame that any group of quilters would let this happen.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sunnie
I thought about it, but the local guild has quite a waiting list. Plus I'm not sure I could fulfill the time requirements as my dogs and dog shows take up a lot of time.

your guild has a waiting list???
never heard of a guild that was not open to any and all who wish to participate. the local guild here has well over 100 members- they also have a membership invitational tea every year- always looking for and encouraging new members...i just can't quite get my mind around a waiting list to join a guild???