Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guilds >

Guilds

Guilds

Old 10-28-2011, 04:53 PM

I went...paid but after a few decided it was not for me...I thought it would be awesome to get together and sew once a week...not the way...they mainly get together talk about donating quilts, quilt your blocks at home and bring them in to make a quilt...many are there to get business for their longarm business...its more show and tell...I wanted to join because I thought we were going to make quilts...for us, not the world...I think its great that people donate but I am still new and want to make stuff of my house and my family...parents, kids, Aunts, Uncles, brothers, sisters,...I have enough just keeping up with all of them...I donate to my family members...I was hoping to do more of a get together and sew week...I wish my house was bigger I would have a bunch of ladies here...I do get together with friends here and there at my house...so much fun. Oh and if you are new...they laugh when you do not know what a long arm machine is...I had no idea when I first went a year ago...
Old 10-28-2011, 05:43 PM

My one and only visit to my local guild~ what a joke and never met more rude people in my life. These people weren't huddled together in their groups, but they just gave you go to hell looks..lol. At the beginning, introductions were made along with interests, etc. I did my part and told them I was new to quilting...wow! The main lady in charge abruptly stopped me in mid sentence, to inform me that they were not there to "teach me and that I might be in the wrong place. The funniest part, I never said a word about "teach me or learn", I just said that I wanted to see what guilds were all about. The only reason I went to the meeting, was because teacher/ employee at the LQS said I should check it out! LOL Well, now I know. And the even funnier thing to me, is that they expect you to pay for that??? Seriously?!? Ummm, no.

I think this (QB) is the best "guild" or group that can be found! :D
Old 10-28-2011, 06:08 PM

No, I'm not, but I'd like to try it. It would be nice to have others nearby who can stand to hear my wax rhapsodic about my fabric addiction!
Old 10-28-2011, 06:26 PM

I was in one for three years and found that I prefered to spend the time in my sewing room.....but I do enjoy meeting with a small group once a month for social time and hand sewing.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:50 PM

I haven't tried to visit any guilds and I'm not sure if I ever will as I would need a sign language interpreter to fully benefit from the meetings/classes, etc.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:54 PM

I belonged to one guild for several years and quit because I couldn't stand the constant bickering and the "cliques" I joined this fall again hoping that things had changed. Well....they will be one member short next year for sure. I joined a group in a different town about 30 miles from here because the two times I went as a guest we had a great time. There has been a lot of arguing going on lately that seems like nit-picking to me. I probably will not be going after the New Year, I get more done on my own.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by orangeroom
I thought about joining the local guild. Visited for an evening with one of my best friends and my mom. We all left with the same feeling of non-acceptance. The women who ran the guild, skipped over us when it came to show and tell time, when clearly we had finished projects and WIP's on lap and in hands ready to show. When we raised our hands throughout the course of the night, we were ignored. Not one woman greeted us or said one word to us all night, 2-3 hours!

I don't really want to make a long drive to find a guild where I'm accepted and belong.

PS-none of us had any deformities and we all bathe regularly.
I am so sorry this happened to you. Believe me. they are
not all like that.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:25 PM

I belong to a guild that has a membership of about 50. But
average attendance each month would be in the high 30's.
Those who serve on the board, serve a 2 yr. term and each
year 1/2 half of them start a new term. Is that clear??..I
mean every two years we do not have everybody new at once.
When it is time to re-elect "whatever' they ask for volunters..if there are none, the nominating committee tries
to figure out someone that might be interested, if asked.
I was a charter member of this guild in the 80's, and after
2 or 3 years returned to work and was unable to go as we meet in the daytime. However, when I retired 10 years ago
I jumped right back in. There are only a very few of us
who were charter members who are still there..and that being
because so many have passed on.
But..this is the most diversified group you could find.
We have members from a number of really small towns, and
we are thrilled that we have gained so many new members and
some are young..several of us 75 yrs plus and we have one
wonderful lady that is over 90..never misses a meeting.
We have a tendency to go to the same area to sit each month, but if you joined in at any table everyone and anyone
would be made welcome. Guests are introduced at the start
of each meeting. We have people who are able to spend for
anything they want, and we have those on a much tighter
budget...but nobody cares, everyone has something to contribute. If we were not a friendly and 'fun' group we
would have died out (literally) years ago. We have one
or two 'high priced' people for the program a couple times
a year. Other times we have one or two more experienced
members who will do a program on a certain technique..i.e...
machine applique, hand applique, art quilts,..etc. Then we
usually can find people within say a 30 mile radius that
can do a great trunk show. Also, we invite various quilt
shop owners 2 or 3 times a yr for programs. They usually
come up with something interesting, and it gives them a
chance to get a little recognition for their business.
I hope you all can find a similar group, surely our group
is not the only one that loves new members.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:28 PM

I am in a guild, and I guess I am so lucky. The ladies there are so nice, and made me feel welcome from the start. They were nice to me when I miscut pieces for a swap. I learned a lot there, and am now Vice Pres. of this guild, I will be the Pres. next year. We do things for charity, but only on a volunteer basis. I enjoy doing things for charity, and also get a lot done for myself. I don't participate in everything, only what I have the time and desire for. There is no pressure in this guild, just a bunch of quilters, that enjoy each other, and the retreats we have had are fantastic. I live in a small town where most people know each other, so that is probably why. I felt even more like part of the group, when I became more involved in it, and it has been fun for me to meet the challenges.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:45 AM

I have belonged to several guilds, One small one, we had lots of fun and folks accepted you. One large and the were not all that friendly, had their cliques. Now meet once a month witm my sis and quilt and once a month with cousins and friend and it is nice. I am thinking about joinging our state guild again because they have a 3 day retreat that in the fall that is great and have excellent teachers. I belong to a Long Arm Guild right now and it has taken me about a year to get acquainted, some guilds are funny that way.