Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guilds >

Guilds

Guilds

Old 10-29-2011, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I belong to three guilds. Two good size and one really small.

I will say it's nearly impossible to actually get to know people you only see 2 hours a month. Join in the activities and you'll get to know people a little better.

As to cliques, groups of friends sit together and visit with each other. So would you. As soon as you get to know some of them you'll be included because they're not really cliques, just groups of friends.
So true about groups. Quilters are human and get excited seeing their buddies. Several times a year I have new members stand up. this reminds the other members, "we are all the welcoming committee". This seems to wake us up to how a new member may feel. Group activities that new members join in make them feel right at home with everyone.
But in truth, there are guilds that are too large and unfriendly. That does happen everywhere. Keep looking, guilds are quite inspirational and there are great ones everywhere.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:00 AM

I am a loner. Never have the time to do all the things required to be a member and my schedule isn't the same two days in a row.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:35 AM

Guilds can offer us lots of support, educational classes and workshops,speakers to help us learn about new products/techniques/resources, trips for groups of similar interest, opportunities to give to others (ie, Quilts of Valor for returning soldiers, comfort quilts for hospitals, baby quilts for young children and infants who are in need,etc etc). I've been told in the past "I know everything I need to know about quilting...why would I need to know more?" That's sad to me. Guild membership can offer much inspiration and oppportunity to grow our craft and fellowship with other like-minded women...and men!
Old 10-29-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by itwrx4me
My mom and I found a great group that meets weekly at one of the local Senior Centers (most all of them have a quilting group). We just get together and work on our own stuff, but have lots of help if needed. And everyone gets along great. First 2 Mondays each month we quilt all day, the other Mondays are half days. We have all the tables to use for sewing at, laying out our work for pinning, etc. You come if you can, and if you don't, no problem!
sounds like an ideal situation......as far as guilds check "requirements" before joining and realize that they can multiply at the next board meeting ! senior citizen discount can be dropped, work hours at annual show can increase with no exception for disability, number of oppertunity quilt tickets to be sold can increase, many things requiring time and money can change rather suddenly at the "whim" of the board.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:49 AM

My sister and I are recently-retired teachers and are both quilters. We visited the local guild's show in September, and ran into a handful of people we knew, and were invited to come to the guild meetings. We've been to two now, went on the fall retreat (2.5 days of sewing, sharing, eating, laughing, and great fun!), and have gotten to meet more guild members. All of the folks have been so welcoming, supportive, and encouraging! At our first meeting, the new folks were invited to stand and we were welcomed with applause and smiles all around the room. I am impressed with all the service projects these folks do! This guild of around 300 members donated over 800 quilts to local need-based organizations this year! In addition, they raised over $2500 to donate to a local camp for handicapped folks. I like being a part of a group that cares for others. The monthly meetings feature a guest speaker who presents between the morning and evening meetings, and you can attend that part or not. The focus of this group is educating others, and learning from each other. They seem to be of the mind that we do and should learn from others and share what we've learned along the way.
Many days I sew alone at home, and I love that, especially after 43 years of working outside the home and being way too busy! I am blessed to be so close to my sister and we quilt together at least once a week so that is something of a mini-guild for the two of us.
Both my sister and I visit this Board daily and have learned so much form all of you! Thank you for your continued inspiration!
We are blessed to have the best of all worlds!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches
Just curious. All you quilters out there, are you involved in Guilds or pretty much keep your quilting a solitary thing? Was in a Guild for close to ten years but for various reasons, left the group, deciding I'd rather spend quiet time unwinding in my sewing room instead. Now that retirement is pending this year, I might reconsider.
This site IS my guild and it open and available 24/7:>). Can get help from quilters worldwide, get to chance to help other quilters, show my work, as well as seeing the work of others, get guidance to best online shops and other sites, and on, and on, and on.....
Even if just want to talk "non-quilting" which I rarely do or share/find a recipe in the middle of the night. You can't beat this place - I'm 70+ and I know.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:03 AM

I belong to a very small group. Memebership limited to 20 members and by invitation only. When we have an opening, the members submit names of someone wanting to join. All of the members vote yes or no by secret ballot. One "no" vote and the person doesn't get in. The person being voted on isn't aware that they have even been submitted, so there aren't any hard feelings. If they weren't voted in, they never know that. I know it seems rigid but this is a very small town and most of these people have been here all their lives. There is another group in a town close by that has some members that are gossipy and clique-y. The founders of the group I'm in didn't want the same problems in this one. So far, seems to be working, we all get along nicely and don't have the competetive/jealousy thing to distract from the fun of getting together and enjoying ouselves.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:05 AM

I sewed on my own for about 10 years and finally found a guild. I have learned many new techniques that I would not have tried on my own and met a lot of fun, encouraging people. I love the help, new friends and fun we have. I do sew very well by myself but it is nice to have that circle to help you
Old 10-29-2011, 05:05 AM

Tried a guild when we lived in Arizona. Very cliquish group of women, very talented and not very encouraging to a new member, or those less 'talented/experienced' than they were.

My long arm quilter has been encouraging me to visit the guild here, am considering it as I'm not going to judge all guilds by the one I tried to participate in that I felt wasn't a good experience.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:07 AM

I have never heard of a guild having a waiting list. Why do they limit the number of their members?
Originally Posted by Sunnie
I thought about it, but the local guild has quite a waiting list. Plus I'm not sure I could fulfill the time requirements as my dogs and dog shows take up a lot of time.