Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guilds >

Guilds

Guilds

Old 10-29-2011, 05:49 AM

Sounds like we went to the same guild. It's not for me either!

Originally Posted by orangeroom
I thought about joining the local guild. Visited for an evening with one of my best friends and my mom. We all left with the same feeling of non-acceptance. The women who ran the guild, skipped over us when it came to show and tell time, when clearly we had finished projects and WIP's on lap and in hands ready to show. When we raised our hands throughout the course of the night, we were ignored. Not one woman greeted us or said one word to us all night, 2-3 hours!

I don't really want to make a long drive to find a guild where I'm accepted and belong.

PS-none of us had any deformities and we all bathe regularly.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:50 AM

Before we moved back to Fort Wayne 12 years ago I had joined the Noble County Indiana quilt guild but had only gone to about 3 meetings just before the move. I think I would have really loved that guild since most of us lived in the country but now I am back in the city I have never attended a quilting guild here. Have been thinking about it but am afraid I won't fit in. I looked at their guild online and they look very much advanced to what I can do. I think I am a big chicken!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:53 AM

This quilting board gives everyone a voice and lots of feedback. Some are shocked that there are waiting lists. The guild very near to where I live has over 200 and does have a waiting list. I have heard from some that it is not too friendly and based on a a "quilting teacher" that I have taken classes from, I agree. 200 is way too many for me. Then a modern quilt guild came to town and meets in a quilt store - usually no more than 20 attend. I have enjoyed this little group. Time to share, swap and participate in little challenges and make group quilts for donation. Just my speed.
Originally Posted by Just-Lee
My one and only visit to my local guild~ what a joke and never met more rude people in my life. These people weren't huddled together in their groups, but they just gave you go to hell looks..lol. At the beginning, introductions were made along with interests, etc. I did my part and told them I was new to quilting...wow! The main lady in charge abruptly stopped me in mid sentence, to inform me that they were not there to "teach me and that I might be in the wrong place. The funniest part, I never said a word about "teach me or learn", I just said that I wanted to see what guilds were all about. The only reason I went to the meeting, was because teacher/ employee at the LQS said I should check it out! LOL Well, now I know. And the even funnier thing to me, is that they expect you to pay for that??? Seriously?!? Ummm, no.

I think this (QB) is the best "guild" or group that can be found! :D
Old 10-29-2011, 05:55 AM

I retired 3 years ago and re-joined our local guild. It was definitely the right thing for me. We have a wonderful guild located in Washington, PA. If you are ever in the area on a Tuesday, PM me and you can visit. We have friends and family in "Picktown", so, who knows, I may get to meet you someday. :-)
Old 10-29-2011, 05:58 AM

I belong to 2 guilds, one meets in the morning and one in the evening. The morning group has over 200 members, the evening has almost 100. I like them both for different reasons. The guilds bring in good speakers and teachers. I take the classes when I can afford to, about twice a year. One has a yearly retreat, both have once a year classes of members teaching members which has a minimal cost.
When I first started quilting the thing I liked most about meetings was "show and tell". It gave me ideas about color, designs, fabric combinations, and sometimes a skill to shoot for.
I also belong to a small group of ladies who meet once a month to sew all day. There are about 14 of us. Usually there are about 8 - 10 who come. It is a great chance to get to know them a little better. We share ideas, teach each other, etc. and generally have a good time. Probably the closest thing to an old fashioned quilting bee.
I have a tendency to be a hermit so being around others is good for me. Although, since DH retired I'm not alone so much. It is still good to spend time with friends who have the same interests.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:01 AM

I like my guild a lot, here are some of the reasons why:
1. Every other year there is a quilt show, next week is our week to shine.
2.There are "small groups" that have a special focus. Some do machine embroidery, some do machine quilting, etc.
3. We take bus trips.
4. We have retreats where you can sew to your hearts delight.
5. Every meeting we have show and tell, where we can get inspired.
The one thing you have to remember is you only get out of it what you are will to put into it. Get involved and you will love it, at least I do! Good luck!
Old 10-29-2011, 06:09 AM

I don't belong to a guild but I do belong to a group that gets together monthly to work on UFOs. I really like this group because it is low key and no president or officers. Just a group of friends that like to quilt. Everyone there is willing to share patterns, talents and anything that is needed at the time. It is always fun to see the new projects everyone is working on.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:40 AM

I'm still not sure if this guild is for me, but I've only been twice so far. It is large

What I really wish is for a friend close by that I could get together with for sewing time. It seems most of my friends aren't sewers let alone quilters.

I've been invited to try another guild in the next town and I think I'll do just that before I make any decisions.

But a sewing friend would be my first choice.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:40 AM

I am with Murphy on quite times for quilting. We have two quilting groups in my town. Unless I took my sewing machine, there would be very little to do. I could take my quilt top, batting and backing which could be put together and basted there, or put the binding on a quilt. Think I will just stay home.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:49 AM

I think that it really depends on what you are looking for. I belong to a group that is very informal. We meet and sew once a week at a LQS. It is open to anyone that wants to come and sew and we always welcome any newcomers. The shop is very gracious to let us use their classroom for a open sew day. I would imagine that this is thier best sales day of the week since they know how weak we are when the new items arrive and we always seem to need something. LOL. We come when we can and all work on whatever we want to wether it be quilting, embroidery or other sewing project. We show and tell, help and support one another in any way we can. We will take a class at the shop when we want to learn a special tecnique or project. Or if we have a group of at least 3 the shop will make a class when they have open time. The LQS also has many special days when they have speakers, seminars and trunk shows. I guess you could say my LQS is my guild in some ways. I have the choice to join in for any of these or not. This works best for me.