Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guilds >

Guilds

Guilds

Old 10-29-2011, 05:08 AM

Good Morning...

I am a member of a medium size guild (cap at 75 members-just recently raised from 55 members)and thoroughly enjoy it. I was a member from the very beginning so that might make a difference. Everyone is very friendly. I think the smaller the guild the easier it is to make friends. I am also a member of two smaller 'friendship' groups all consisting of my best friends. Loads of fun. If you don't want to join a large guild, try starting a small "Bee" group of like-minded people and meet at each others homes.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom
I thought about joining the local guild. Visited for an evening with one of my best friends and my mom. We all left with the same feeling of non-acceptance. The women who ran the guild, skipped over us when it came to show and tell time, when clearly we had finished projects and WIP's on lap and in hands ready to show. When we raised our hands throughout the course of the night, we were ignored. Not one woman greeted us or said one word to us all night, 2-3 hours!

I don't really want to make a long drive to find a guild where I'm accepted and belong.

PS-none of us had any deformities and we all bathe regularly.
I had much the same experience with the guild I tried to participate in very, very cliquish and chit chat was not encouraging...

I too bathe regularily and generally thought to be somewhat 'okay' in appearance! LOL with your P.S. comments!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by cindi
I have to disagree with you on with the cliques, in my case. It was clear that at least 3 groups of people that I sat around wanted to talk to nobody but each other. No matter how much I tried to join the conversations, I was dismissed with chair turns, funny looks and flat out ignoring me (and the girl I was sitting next to who was also trying to "fit in"). After 6 months of this, I left.

While I agree that it's hard to get to know people you only see a couple of hours a month, it really isn't that difficult to include a newbie in a conversation or make them feel welcome. I didn't feel any more part of the group after 6 months than I did on the first day.
Absolutely my experience too...but I'm willing to give another guild a try to the area we now live in. Just dragging my heels at this point....
Old 10-29-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise
Originally Posted by auntmag
I don't care for guilds for various reasons, but it is a matter of personal choice.
I have never been in a quilting guild, but I was a member
of the ASG (American Sewing Guild) and gave it up this
year.

I TRIED to attend the local meetings and sew & tells, but
I was the youngest person there and the ladies were NOT
all that friendly to me because I was not in their "social"
league and so forth.

Wish I had a friend close by that I could get together with
for sewing time.
Oh, I wish we'd known each other when we lived in Aurora...lived there 35 years but have moved away. I would have been your quilt buddy!!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:19 AM

Give guilds a chance. I am currently president of our guild, for the second time. I do ask if there are any visitors or new members present at every business meeting. I may expand that to have that new person tell us about themselves.
I try to talk to the new person after the meeting is over, but they have usually dissapeared by the time I am done with my duties.
Give it more than just one meeting to try. I do feel that we try to make any new person welcome, but that person needs to make an effort also. We are all there because of our love of quilting. Most quilters are caring and generous people, give us a chance. ;-)
Old 10-29-2011, 05:21 AM

One other thing, if you really are looking for people to quilt with, and don't care for the established groups - start a new one! There are no rules for that!
Put an ad in the paper, ask at the local quilt shop, whatever it takes.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:25 AM

I don't belong to a guild but I feel like I am in one here on the board.
you can ask silly questions get good answers and I feel like I know every one.I get all the help I need.(and I need plenty) The members here are the best!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by jgriinke
Give guilds a chance. I am currently president of our guild, for the second time. I do ask if there are any visitors or new members present at every business meeting. I may expand that to have that new person tell us about themselves.
I try to talk to the new person after the meeting is over, but they have usually dissapeared by the time I am done with my duties.
Give it more than just one meeting to try. I do feel that we try to make any new person welcome, but that person needs to make an effort also. We are all there because of our love of quilting. Most quilters are caring and generous people, give us a chance. ;-)
I'm not sure if you were replying to me but in my personal experience I gave it nearly a year. In fact I stepped up to be secretary when no one else would take the position.

I think from Junior High/Middle school on girls/women, in my experience, can be cliquish...whether it be a guild, a church group....we feel comfortable with established friendships and forget at times to be warm and welcoming to someone new. It's not that we aren't friendly we can without being even aware seem to be cliquish.

I'm guilty of this too in that seeing someone new I should step out of my comfort zone and say hello and welcome. This discussion has given me food for thought...in re evaluating my actions when I attend gatherings, especially should it be in a group of women.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:43 AM

I was in a small guild (about 20 women ) when I lived in a smaller town and they were great. They spent a long time on show & tell and had projects you could learn to do. Really really nice women. Then I moved away and tried a guild recently here in a bigger city and was appalled at the women and how they acted. Will not go back there ! I actually like guilds and maybe will start one someday. Met a lovely lady here on the board and she asked me to join other women quilting on Thursday and that has worked great. You learn so much in a group and the show & tell is fun too.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:44 AM

I joined a guild here about 12 years ago. After about 18 months of being the outsider I left. Some guilds are good, some still have their 'high school cliques'. During that time I watched the same thing happen to 3 other new members....does that make the the slow learner? Much happier doing my thing with a couple friends.