Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guilds >

Guilds

Guilds

Old 10-29-2011, 03:00 PM

Guilds or groups?

These are two different things. Some are very "stuffy" while others are "fun".

Find what suits you
Old 10-29-2011, 03:12 PM

one day guild and one evening. both just once a month
Old 10-29-2011, 03:22 PM

I have so little time...babysit my DGD about 50+ hours per week...so I get my "fix" by teaching and taking classes at my LQS when baby is with her parents. Maybe someday, but I had enough committee work and meetings in past years and now enjoy just sewing with friends on occasion.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:36 PM

Don't belong to a guild, but during summer six months I belong to a quilting club. It really helps to have close friends share your passion, you learn off each other and it makes a good social time. That's not to say you can't get that off a guild, but I haven't found a compatible group during winter months in Mesa.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:40 PM

I have belonged to a guild for seven years. We have eight or nine guilting groups within the guild. We meet every three months. Everyone is very nice and everyone seems to get along well. We have workshops during the year and have our Christmas luncheon in November.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:09 PM

I, too, am a guild member since we started in 1990. I find myself looking forward to guild day for the companionship/friendship more than anything. I usually bring my "work" home. I have to say that the majority of my friends are from our guild. No one nicer and more helpful than a fellow quilter!!
Old 10-29-2011, 04:20 PM

Hi Amy -- Wish you were here!! I would love to sign for you as my daughter is deaf, so I understand the difficulties that come with the hearing world sometimes. Wish you "luck" with finding that person to sign for you. Keep on quilting no matter what.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:24 PM

Its not for me try for 3 years After many years of work and family commitments I want to do what I want and when
Old 10-29-2011, 05:31 PM

Sue Nickels visited our Guild last year. She is a great teacher and her presentation was very informative and entertaining. :-)
Old 10-29-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by orangeroom
I thought about joining the local guild. Visited for an evening with one of my best friends and my mom. We all left with the same feeling of non-acceptance. The women who ran the guild, skipped over us when it came to show and tell time, when clearly we had finished projects and WIP's on lap and in hands ready to show. When we raised our hands throughout the course of the night, we were ignored. Not one woman greeted us or said one word to us all night, 2-3 hours!

I don't really want to make a long drive to find a guild where I'm accepted and belong.

PS-none of us had any deformities and we all bathe regularly.
I just posted my comments about this on another post. I, too, visited a guild when I first began quilting. The first night was OK, but from then on, after they got my membership dues, I never felt a part of the group. It had 4-5 cliques within the guild, and if you weren't part of their group, tough luck. I tried to join in as best I could. Did not work at all. Like you, I was rarely spoken to, if at all. I finally just quit going, and I obviously was not missed as I certainly was never contacted by anyone. If you feel you are an outsider after going for six months or so, it's time to hang it up ... so I did.