Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guilds >

Guilds

Guilds

Old 10-29-2011, 09:22 AM

I joined a guild when I retired and love it. I have made some good friends and enjoy the speakers and the classes they offer.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:33 AM

I have belonged to a Guild in Regina Sask with 130 or so members for about 13 years. Some years it is really good .... depends on who is leading. Other years not so good. But I still love to go. Show and tell is my favorite part. I have held several positions on the Executive. I have had a great experience except for one year. But I won't go into that.

I belong to a Guild in Yuma Ar in the RV park we are in. Love that one too.

There is always clicks everywhere. I just look for someone else to sit with. And I ignore the clicks. I refuse to let them ruin my time at the Guild.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom
I thought about joining the local guild. Visited for an evening with one of my best friends and my mom. We all left with the same feeling of non-acceptance. The women who ran the guild, skipped over us when it came to show and tell time, when clearly we had finished projects and WIP's on lap and in hands ready to show. When we raised our hands throughout the course of the night, we were ignored. Not one woman greeted us or said one word to us all night, 2-3 hours!

I don't really want to make a long drive to find a guild where I'm accepted and belong.

PS-none of us had any deformities and we all bathe regularly.
I am sorry you had a bad experience. Because of comments like yours, I have gone out of my way to speak to each new member and try to make them feel welcome. On the plus side, our guild has steadily been getting new members and I think it is because the officers also try to be welcoming! I belong to a guild but also sew with a couple other friends on a monthly basis. Keep looking!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I went to two guild meetings. Because I'm still in my 20's, I was told that I "wasn't a real quilter" and "you have got to be kidding, *that* is not a quilt" and the *that* they were referring to was a donation quilt to the AAQI.

I never went back.

To be honest, I've never felt more shunned or as belittled as I did at those 2 meetings. I went to the second one because I thought the first might have been a fluke, but the second meeting I was greeted with, "Oh, you're back. It costs $25 to stay as a non member."

Worst $25 I ever spent.

The QB is my quilt guild, and I love it here.
I love this quilting site too. I also thought your avatar is interesting. From that I would say you look like you are creative! We would be glad to have you in our Guild!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:59 AM

I have belonged to guilds for several years now and don't expect to renew membership next year. Why? Because a friend told me about this website. I've learned more here than ever in a guild. It is nice to have quilting friends but I'm expected to devote too much time and money to belong to a guild. And I will never be able to quilt as well as they do so I often leave meetings with a lower self esteem. It also bothers me because there is no written policy or bylaws so new members have to question others about procedures. Also bothers me because the treasurer never reveals how the money is spent, just gives a monthly total. Thanks to all of you for your contribution here.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:34 AM

I just retired last year and the only thing I've joined is a quilt guild, and I love it. I live in a small town and the guild is in a town about 30 minutes away. The other members from my town took me in like a long-lost relative and we carpool to meetings, have lunch, shop at the only LQS in town.

I went to a retreat recently and got to know other members better. My experience with this guild has been nothing but positive. We're going to the Houston Quilt Festival this week on a bus!!
Old 10-29-2011, 10:36 AM

I enjoy the social aspect of the quild I belong to, and I enjoy seeing what all the other ladies are making. It can get trying at times when they require certain things you are not able to provide but all in all, I look forward to the meetings.
Michelle
Old 10-29-2011, 10:58 AM

Went to one meeting of a local guild, and decided that I really don't like to have every stitch and pattern looked at with a fine tooth comb. Plus they had nothing nice to say about most of the quilts that others had made.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:03 AM

I appreciate everyone's candid answers to my post. Sure made me remember why I left the local guild years ago. Believe I will be most happy in the future, keeping my quilting a solitary pursuit. If I could find 4-6 like minded folks that could get together once a month, that would be perfect. Actually, it would be hard to beat what we already have in each other in this Board.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:18 AM

I belong to a medium size guild. I don't think we have cliques but we do have small groups. Small group is 10 people that meet monthly. Each person in the group plans a monthly meeting. Sometimes we go out for lunch,sometimes we go fabric shopping, sometimes a quilt show, sometimes we go to a members house and sew for the day or weekend. It is nice because you have some one to go with you to quilt shows and other fun sewing places.