Thread: Guilds
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 06:21 PM
KerryK

Originally Posted by jgriinke
Give guilds a chance. I am currently president of our guild, for the second time. I do ask if there are any visitors or new members present at every business meeting. I may expand that to have that new person tell us about themselves.
I try to talk to the new person after the meeting is over, but they have usually dissapeared by the time I am done with my duties.
Give it more than just one meeting to try. I do feel that we try to make any new person welcome, but that person needs to make an effort also. We are all there because of our love of quilting. Most quilters are caring and generous people, give us a chance. ;-)
I tried to "fit in" for over six months at the guild I once joined. If cliques don't want you, they just don't want you, and have their ways of letting you know it. After the fact, I felt really stupid for trying for so long. Why did it take me six months to figure it out and get out of there? After reading some of the posts here, I feel better knowing I was not alone in my horrible experience. Misery loves company, they say! LOL