View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 03:22 AM
themachinelady

I say go with good fabric regardless of where it comes from. I have seen some 9.00 a yard fabric at quilt shops I wouldn't have brought into my house, it was so flimsy and I have seen some extra good fabric from Wal-Mart and JoAnn's as well, so I think you have to judge the quality of fabric. Have several friends who won't even look anywhere but at a quilt shop, one only makes wall hangings, so she doesn't have a huge investment like a king sized quilt would be. The other makes bed quilts, but complains how expensive it is and she can't buy much anymore because of budget constraints. Like one of the other board members stated our ancestors used old worn out dresses, shirts etc., using the better parts of the fabric left and those quilts lasted a long time and were used prettily heavily in most cases. My mom could never understand buying material to make a quilt, cutting it up and using it. I often had to remind her that most of us don't have the cotton clothes they had when they grew up and not everyone saves everyting as they did back in those days. So whatever fabric you like regardless of where it comes from is okay in my books. After it is quilted and done, most people can't tell the difference anyway. Everything doesn't have to always be 'name brand' to be good. My two cents worth for the day.