View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 10:45 AM
japrew

As part owner in a small, only been open 4 years, quilt shop, you have no idea how this thread depresses me. It is a very bad time to own a small business. We opened a few months before the lint hit the fan. It is not easy to keep things going. Our saving grace is very low over head, no rent, just utilities and insurance and things of that nature. Needless to say we don't draw a salary either.If we were to depend on a profit to keep open, well, we would not be open. Even though times are tough we plow the profit back into the shop for new fabrics. With out new fabrics you can't hang on to your customers. We hope to weather through the storm and come out of it a little smarter and a little more solvent.

It was wonderful to hear how most of you favor your local quilt shops. Keep up the good work, we all depend on you. Our prices are going through the roof too. We can not afford to sell at the MSRP, we would never sell anything. It won't be long before most fabrics we be $6.00 per yard. And I mean our wholesale cost.

Well, I shall get off my soap box. Enjoy you quilting.