Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So sad another quilt shop closed

Blog Entries
    :-( Always in Stitches is closed now. So sorry to see it close. Have you had a favorite QS close? I must admit I was a little teary eyed. The owner is a wonderful lady. Yes I bought lots of stuff.

I wish Mary all the good things in life.

What did you say to the owner?

I had few words as I didn't want to make it worse.

That is so sad to hear of another quilting store closing. I am doing my best to support them, however I only have so much money for this hobby, so much time, and so much storage! I got enough material to last 5 yrs or more. I still love going in and spending, although I try to control myself. I see where Walmart in our area Has Fabric now, although there were no clerks around to help. I wasnt buying anything though.

I've heard from a pretty reliable source that Z&S Fabrics is gonna be gone, too. Used to be one of my favorite places to order from a long time ago. Hate to see this.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltbugs
    I've heard from a pretty reliable source that Z&S Fabrics is gonna be gone, too. Used to be one of my favorite places to order from a long time ago. Hate to see this.
    Would that be the one 'in town' or the location in Denver, PA? I know Zooks and Z&S are the same owners but can't remember which one is where. I frequent the one in town when I'm there. That will definitely be a sad day.

I got an email just the other day to let me know that Sally's Fabric will be closing in a few weeks:-( In addition to having a large fabric selection, they were a great place to learn long-arm quilting.

My LQS closes in 3 weeks - 5 ladies ran it together for 25 years. Sadly no-one was interested in buying it. I will miss it greatly as it was 10 minutes walk from my work and the next one I like is a 30 minute drive.

Z & S Fabrics is not going anywhere but they are preparing for a relaunch of their website as part of their new site - NextLevelShops.com. They are combining two of their websites and adding some partner shops. I will check with the owner about Zook's and Sauder's but I don't believe they are going anywhere either.

We have one in Athens,Ohio closing But she is going on-line...Not the same....... :cry: :cry:

Banned
    I hate to see a local shop close down but in our area the business section of our paper printed an article about how so many places (even larger stores) are closing down and going to the internet for business. I see that several of the larger multi location local stores have closed and its only going to get worse before better. I try to keep my money locally but sometimes I have to go online and get things there because it saves me money and overhead.

Billy

Blog Entries
    Sad, we also have a LQS closing on November 1st.

We are lucky enough to have several good QSs in our area, probably over a dozen within 45 minutes to an hours drive. The problem is that I just can't afford to support them all. The one that I support with my purchases is the one that also has the wonderful RETREAT CENTER attached---Threads of Time in Danville, Illinois. Wonderful rooms to sew in, bedrooms, kitchens, a beautiful fenced in garden with a large electrified gazebo, grill, patio furniture and a quilt store attached to all of that. They also offer classes and bring in national quilters for shows and workshops. You just can't get better than that. Everyone should plan a retreat. It's pretty inexpensive.

I suppose it depends on why they are closing. I've had 3 close, but 1 was because of the owner's health, one because of the owner's parent's health and one because of personal reasons. None have closed because of the economy (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by LyndaOH
    Z & S Fabrics is not going anywhere but they are preparing for a relaunch of their website as part of their new site - NextLevelShops.com. They are combining two of their websites and adding some partner shops. I will check with the owner about Zook's and Sauder's but I don't believe they are going anywhere either.
    I spoke with the owner and what I took from the conversation was that there is no way the stores are closing.

Ours closed some time ago.... and the nearest fabric supplier to me is about 30 mins drive. I got to know the owner quite well at our LQS a real sweetie. Fabric is expensive here and she just wasn't making enough to cover rent etc. and some days she would only get one or two customers. It was sad for her, but she really needed to close before it got too stressful and affected her family life. She said the nicest thing was most of the people understood what was necessary and wished her well....but unbelievably, some people got quite sniffy about it. Small business is hard work, and when times get tough they are the first to feel it.

sorry it is closing.

I wasn't a "frequent-er" of Quilt Stores until recently...I was "hooked" (and not necessarily in a good way) on those Joann's coupons. But after close inspection of Joann's fabrics and feeling misled so many times by their coupons (where the prices are jacked up to cover the coupon discount), I now try to go to both the LQS's within an easy driving range. Your post has reminded me of the importance of supporting them, and since it has been a month since my last visit, I will go today.

I am sorry that you lost yours....maybe someday, when the economy picks up, we will see this trend reversed....let's hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hattie Frances
    Sad, we also have a LQS closing on November 1st.
    Which local store is closing TOMORROW!
    Mamahen in Altha!

I hate when that happens. Of course if it's for retirement and not economic reasons, I wish them the best.

there`s a wonderful quilt store in corinth,ms called treasure chest.

Sorry you're losing your LQS. Becky's on the town Square closed last spring. Told her that she would be so missed!
    The good news is that a very nice lady opened a new LQS in the same building!

Support your local small businesses. They are having a really rough time. If things keep up the way they are, there will only be big business left.

So sorry to hear that. I try to support the three shops that are very close to my home, but I can only stash so much fabric and take only so many classes.
    Sue

I'd give the owner a big hug, and tell her (or him) how sorry I am to see them close.

I saw a couple of my favorites close in the past few years: one in SF,where the landlord was going to raise the rent by an outrageous amount and the shop owner said her life ran in 12 year cycles, that she had been open 12 years, and now it was time to move on.

Another one was in Auburn, CA, and the owners wanted to retire. I don't think anyone came to buy it. It had been one of the shops in a Quilt Sampler Best Shops issue. Just checked and they are now an online only shop.

Smack dab between Dallas and Tyler, Texas
    Sorry yours has closed, within the last few years three have opened within 20 miles of me. Some may think traveling 20 miles to find a LQS isn't to local but it is what it is here. With the economy being terrible, I hope they remain open since quilting is not a cheap hobby and those who are on fixed budgets (who isn't) have to manage fairly well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast