View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Honeynga

I buy as much as I can at the Dollar Tree store...often what I buy is name brand, i.e., soap, dw liquid; however, the dishwasher det is not name brand and it does an OK job.....Reynolds Wrappers, 25 for $1; baggies with zip lock in various sizes are $1; plus I buy the 1 and 2 gal size for my projects; I buy shampoo, deodorant....on an on, just as much as I can there. It really makes a difference.

Because I'm older (65), an live only on social security, I watch my grocery spending closely; I use coupons when it is wise; buy the weekly specials; shop on senior citizens day which affords a 5% discount and plan accordingly. I usually eat only 2 meals a day, but healthy. I don't buy snack foods, mostly because of trying to eat healthy. It does take more work and planning to watch your spending and also provide healthy meals but it can be done.

Gone are the days when I had 3 children at home, had a very good job, lived in an upper crust house with a husband that also had a good income and we could buy whatever and cost was never an issue. Looking back, wish I had been as frugal then as I am now and would have had a nice nest egg..but what about hindsight being 20/20 ?