Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
average meal price per serving >

average meal price per serving

average meal price per serving

Old 10-25-2011, 02:19 AM

Have you taken a look at the 'Everyday' magazine by Rachel Ray? There is a section in there on meals under a certain price per serving. They are delicious and nutritious, and most are under $3 per serving. She gives the recipes, a shopping list, and tips on how to prepare dishes with leftovers. Personally, I spend less than $25 per week on food for myself if I average it out. I do all kinds of things to keep my costs down.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Whenever I need to cut expenses I try to do it on other things, not with food.
But let me explain- we eat really healthy foods which may cost more but compared to prepared foods, sodas, junk food etc it's probably a lot cheaper. I rarely eat anything that's not made from scratch.
I look at it as fuel for my body. I'll skimp on something else.
I've already cut most everything else - food is my big budget buster right now and I cook so little (always on the go) that I wasn't sure if I was even being realistic when planning my budget. But thank you.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:11 AM

What we do. I dont work, Thank God, but we dont do a lot of other things to compensate for it. We might eat out 3 times a year. I raise my own chickens (eggs and meat) and garden and can like a maniac. Now I know not everyone can do this but my advice that I have seen work. If you want to truly eat healthy, I go to a farmers home, we buy 1/2 of a cow, Yes I know it costs more up front but I am only paying 2.55 a lb for grass fed meat. If I didnt raise chickens I would go find someone that doesn, stop and ask if they sell eggs. You can see the way they raise theirs. Mine, run around w/o a fence, the way chickens should. Leanr to make your own. I make my own mayo. It takes me about 5 mins. In a blender. Done and only 4 ingredients. Just because you get something cheap, doesnt mean you are saving money. You might be headed to the dr and that definately isnt saving money. I buy organic beans and oats by the 25-50 lb bags. Put them in food grade buckets and I am paying maybe $1 a lb for organic. It takes some work but once you get the hang of it, its easy and tastes oh so good.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by qbquilts
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Whenever I need to cut expenses I try to do it on other things, not with food.
But let me explain- we eat really healthy foods which may cost more but compared to prepared foods, sodas, junk food etc it's probably a lot cheaper. I rarely eat anything that's not made from scratch.
I look at it as fuel for my body. I'll skimp on something else.
I've already cut most everything else - food is my big budget buster right now and I cook so little (always on the go) that I wasn't sure if I was even being realistic when planning my budget. But thank you.
Please understand- we are all on different paths- right now I am able do what I do. My life is probably different from yours.
I'm not on the go as much as I used to be. I think you're definitely on the right track. What I told you is important in the sense that a lot of people think organic, fresh, etc is so costly. It's not when you look at the whole picture, as others have said. Hope this makes sense and good luck :)
You sound like a smart young woman to me :thumbup:
Old 10-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Banned

Best wishes on the Dave Ramsey University. It's an awesome program and gives you all the necessary tools to complete your goals. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:48 PM

Tricks I've found useful: when you buy chicken, always buy it bone-in. It's cheaper, and I freeze leftover bones in a bag in the freezer, along with ends of raw vegetables and herbs, to make stock with for soup. Bean soups are healthy, filling, affordable options, as well. And if you make up a big batch, you can freeze it in Ball jars for later meals.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:57 PM

I've never tried to figure out how much out meals per day are. We raise a garden every year so that's where most of our food comes from. I make 90% fresh. We aren't big meat eaters, but DH likes to eat out more often than I do. Interesting thread.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:01 PM

For a growing family of 5, I try to stay within $3-$4. I'm finding that a challenge now days. I'm making extra efforts to pack leftovers for kids' school lunches.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:26 PM

I buy as much as I can at the Dollar Tree store...often what I buy is name brand, i.e., soap, dw liquid; however, the dishwasher det is not name brand and it does an OK job.....Reynolds Wrappers, 25 for $1; baggies with zip lock in various sizes are $1; plus I buy the 1 and 2 gal size for my projects; I buy shampoo, deodorant....on an on, just as much as I can there. It really makes a difference.

Because I'm older (65), an live only on social security, I watch my grocery spending closely; I use coupons when it is wise; buy the weekly specials; shop on senior citizens day which affords a 5% discount and plan accordingly. I usually eat only 2 meals a day, but healthy. I don't buy snack foods, mostly because of trying to eat healthy. It does take more work and planning to watch your spending and also provide healthy meals but it can be done.

Gone are the days when I had 3 children at home, had a very good job, lived in an upper crust house with a husband that also had a good income and we could buy whatever and cost was never an issue. Looking back, wish I had been as frugal then as I am now and would have had a nice nest egg..but what about hindsight being 20/20 ?