View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 05:18 PM
aborning

Originally Posted by Pinkrose4664 View Post
Has anyone every made a whole quilt using just 3 fabrics for this pattern? I have tried to search but this new one is confusing for me.

Thanks
Yes, I like to make my Disappearing 9 Patch Quilts with only 3 fabrics. I like quilts that aren't quite so "busy". Find two colors that you want to show the most, and use them for the main fabrics and then use the 3rd fabric for the middle pice on your 9 patch squares. Example: I made a quit with a black fabridce (with some white print on it) and a white fabric with quite a bit of black on it and then I use a red for the middle square on my 9 patch blocks I made. Then when I cut that 9 atch blck in half vertically and in half horizonatally, it made that red center block become only 1/4 of the original block size. So then when I turned the blocks and sewed them back together,my black fabric is now my big square pieces and the white blocks were cut in half so they are strips and the red fabric is now just a splash of red throughout. It is very beatifil. I am making one right now with a brown print and a tan print and then I am using a rust color print to use as the fabric that will be the 'splash of color--so it can just bring out some of the rust color in the brown and tan prints. I really like doing them. I have made 5 different quilts with that pattern and now my son wants me to make one for his 2 yr. old daughter but he wants it in brown and prints fabrics. It is hard to find brown and pink fabrics that aren't plain colored. I am having trouble finding thre coordinating prints. I am giong to Sioux Falls next week and am going to go to the Quilt Shop there 'cause they have lots of "fun" fabrics there and I might try to persuade my son to choose some different colors. He will be with me so I will show him some and hopefully come up with three fun coordinating fabrics. Good luck with yours. They reaaly are fun to do --and simple. I work full time and do long arm quilting for customers so I really have to pick easy patterns when I make a quilt--or it would take me forever to get a quilt done!